Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
st. louis , Missouri
How to determine size of AC and Heater?

Hi all,

I am currently gut renovating my 71 Overlander and I am trying to figure out what size AC unit to run, and same for the Furnace. I was thinking a Suburban NT series furnace, and probably the Dometic Penguin for the AC. The question is: how do I know I am buying the right size? The trailer is a 27' model (23' inside dimension) and I really don't know what's appropriate. I called Suburban and the customer service rep was not helpful at all. She just said "it depends - you should take your trailer to a qualified dealer so they can help you determine what you need"

Anyway - is there a general rule of thumb? My floor plan will be open with no cabinets up high. Bedroom will be in the back, small bathroom moved to the side.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
STLRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, you can look at the document archive on the Airstream site and see what your trailer was originally equipped with. A quick check shows that your furnace was a 22,500 BTU, but a couple of years later they were building them with a 30,000 BTU unit. Part of the decision is figuring out what will fit in the space you have for your furnace. You might not be able to fit a 30k unit in the space you have.

For the AC, get the highest BTU rating you can get, and I mean 15,000 BTU. You might get by with something less, but I doubt you will ever regret maxing it out.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
st. louis , Missouri
Thanks for the reply! I figured going big on the AC was the way to go, but I was a little hesitant on the Heater. I think I can make nearly any size work since I am building from scratch, but that is good to take into account. Thanks again for the reply. I will post an update as I get ready to hit the road with the end product.
STLRooster is offline   Reply With Quote