Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 06:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
How to add furnace to vintage trailer

My 55 Flying Cloud needs a propane furnace added. Looking at Suburban "Q" series. First question is where to put it. The units are nominally 21" long. If they have a grill at each end (one for exhaust and one for warm air), it seems they should be mounted in a cabinet with a depth close to 21". The only spot I have that is close is directly below the fridge (just in front of wheel well). Not sure it is ideal to have hot air exhausting directly below the fridge vent, but it is otherwise a convenient spot in that it has a propane line and 12 volts readily available.
Other candidate locations are under the gaucho in front or under the bed in the rear, but both of these locations are much further from the shell. Can I use a ducted unit entirely underneath furniture and just run a single duct to the face of the cabinet?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Consider noise. These things are loud so putting it under a bed might not be a good idea. Make sure you can get to it for maintenance. You probably don't want anything flammable near the outlet of the unit. That part of the skin will get hot.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Did you check under the kitchen sink?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furnace 003.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	253849  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Consider noise. These things are loud so putting it under a bed might not be a good idea. Make sure you can get to it for maintenance. You probably don't want anything flammable near the outlet of the unit. That part of the skin will get hot.

Perry
Q series is supposedly much quieter but that is a relative term I am sure. Fan is the noisy part. My 64Bambi had the water heater on the curb side and you had to remember to stay clear of it...
Old 12-14-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Have you considered a catalytic heater?
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Selling mine

[QUOTE=68 TWind;1722878]Have you considered a catalytic heater?[/QUOTE
Trailer came with one (for sale in classifieds) but prefer a furnace...
Old 12-14-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
my last rv (not an AS) had the furnace under the fridge from the factory
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I would not hesitate to locate the furnace below the fridge. The only time the furnace would be running would be in cold weather and that is the weather that the fridge is most effective. I placed my furnace in that position 8 or 10 years ago in my Boles and have had no trouble. I did seal off under my fridge so the warm air would not transfer up through the cabinet and around the fridge.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Panama City , Florida
Most all your new travel trailers have the furnace under the refrigerator so that should be no problem.
dtshasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:04 PM   #10
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
You might also look at putting it next to your water heater - if there's space (like me, you may have to cheat the water heater over a smidge & then use the access door for the combo vent/flue outlets), & since there is LP & 12v/110v there also.

That WH cabinet or under the front dinette may be my only location choices in our 1960 Avion T20, when I can get around to it.

A vintage AS restorer here also recco'ed the small Atwood unit over the Suburban, due to lower 12v fan draw & quieter operation, as well as possibly better quality. It should be adequate for your 22' AS also.

Everest Star 7900 II Series Heating System - Atwood Mobile

Please posts results when you do it, for the benefit of others tackling it .... like me!

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
1962 26' Overlander
2011 30' Flying Cloud
East Jordan , Michigan
You may consider the Dickinson propane heater "fireplace" out of BC Canada. It is expensive, but very well built, quiet, surface mounted with concentric combustion air/ direct vent SS ducting. It is SS for marine environment and looks great in vintage trailers. Street price around 800$. I use one in my '55 FC.
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I consider catalytic heaters hazardous and would not have one in my trailer.

If you are not satisfied with mounting options or are concerned about noise, you could look at the Dickinson propane heater, which has a roof exhaust and does not require a fan (though one is provided that you can use if and when you wish). I don't have one but they are highly regarded for vintage trailer refitting as well as in the tiny house movement and among marine users.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Dickinson propane heater might be an option for you. It's wall mounted and takes little space. They even do a wood burning and diesel version.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Agree about the catalytic heater. One came with the trailer and my wife refuses to use it so it is gone. On closer examination it appears I can put the furnace under the kitchen counter by giving up the lowest drawer. I feel better about having the exhaust vent on the street side as opposed to the curb side where we sit under the awning. Can tie into LP for stove but will have to run 12 volt wiring to that location.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Have you considered using an automobile heater core + fan and plumbing it into the hot water heater? A cheap 12 volt recirculating pump to keep the hot water moving would complete the install. No furnace required. Argosy Rover did radiant heating in the floor using pipes laid on the sub floor, insulating foam between the pipes and a floor laid on top of that. The water circulating pump was wired to the thermostat. According to him the water heater was up to the task.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Have you considered using an automobile heater core + fan and plumbing it into the hot water heater? A cheap 12 volt recirculating pump to keep the hot water moving would complete the install. No furnace required. Argosy Rover did radiant heating in the floor using pipes laid on the sub floor, insulating foam between the pipes and a floor laid on top of that. The water circulating pump was wired to the thermostat. According to him the water heater was up to the task.
Radiant floor heat in an Airstream doesn't, by itself, provide enough heat in cold weather.

There are a number of problems using heater cores on fresh (drinking) water systems. The largest problem is that they are prone to corrosion and early failure when used with fresh water, because the water does not contain a corrosion inhibitor and because there is dissolved oxygen entering the water. They may also contain components, particularly lead, that are not safe for contact with drinking water. The system as a whole ends up being heavy and complex compared to better alternatives.

I like hot water heat and have lived in two different stick houses that have it. I do not believe it is a good choice for an RV.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I installed the heater in a '55 cloud under the bed with the exhaust in the rear corner. Reasons...
Under the sink was full of water heater.
Under the fridge didn't have enough room or the microwave wouldn't fit above it.
And, where it is now, the exhaust port is not under an awning or window.

It has 3 hot air vents. One exits from under the bed and is pointed at the bathroom. One routes forward, under the pantry and point toward the kitchen. The last routes even farther forward and exits the wall by the door and blows toward the dinette.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Opposite locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I installed the heater in a '55 cloud under the bed with the exhaust in the rear corner. Reasons...
Under the sink was full of water heater.
Under the fridge didn't have enough room or the microwave wouldn't fit above it.
And, where it is now, the exhaust port is not under an awning or window.

It has 3 hot air vents. One exits from under the bed and is pointed at the bathroom. One routes forward, under the pantry and point toward the kitchen. The last routes even farther forward and exits the wall by the door and blows toward the dinette.
My furnace will go under the sink and my water heater is under the bed with exhaust in the rear corner. Both on street side.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
My furnace will go under the sink and my water heater is under the bed with exhaust in the rear corner. Both on street side.

That's a good plan. This '55 has the bed on the curb side so sticking the water heater under it would have been a real hassle.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Rear Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
That's a good plan. This '55 has the bed on the curb side so sticking the water heater under it would have been a real hassle.
Mine has the bed across the back. I put the LP water heater near where the old electric one was. Vents out the street side, and easy tie in to water main. Did have to run LP line though..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterheaterinstalled.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	254013