Old 09-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
How heavy is the AC Unit because...

Hi all, as some of you know our AC motor went out right in the middle of summer, so we had to quickly switch to a box unit that is running right now in the rear bath window.
But now we are having traces of cooler temps outside and figure it's time to 'climb up there' and pull out the AC unit, and have it repaired...If any of you have a link or can share as to go about getting it out, and also can one person lift it up and out by themselves? Then I will cover the hole in the roof and will get the AC fixed here in town, for some rediculous price I am sure. Thanks if you know anything. Bill

Old 09-07-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
As long as you goin to be spending big bucks it might be easier to get a AC guy to climb up and fix it in place. Just my .02. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If it's the original Armstrong unit, there's no "pulling it off", it's either riveted or screwed in place.
If it's a later model replacement, there's really no repairing it. They are basically "use until it breaks then throw it away". You may luck out and get a replacement capacitor, if that's what's wrong, or maybe a fan motor, but other than that it's a large paperweight. The roof unit of a replacement a/c weighs about 100 pounds, maybe a bit less, depending on manufacturer.
The "good" part of this is you can simply lift it off the hole, and toss it off the roof.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I am pretty sure it was the motor that turns the fan wheel...I guess I will go ask questions today. But I do know that it is an Armstrong. Does anyone know about how much a new one would cost thats just like it?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #5

1968 30' Sovereign
pekin , Indiana
for what its worth when we picked up our airstream this summer, and started the long process of a fix up. the fan in our armstrong ac was also out, well after buying a new motor , capacitor, and a few other things. bingo it is back in business! and to be honest for a small little machine that was built in 1968 does a fantastic job! so before you go and scrap that little fella, have a qualified technichian have a look!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
There is an AC business about three blocks away from us...and I bet they are going to eat me starting with my back pocket, But it will not hurt to ask...it would be great to be able to fix it while in place. When it went out the first (and last) time...it was blowing really super cold and I think that was a sign of several issues. But we are making money better now and it's important to not poof it off and put it where it belongs.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Whitefawn

1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
removing the ac

As I recall, when I removed the Armstrong ac from our 1972 Overlander, there were 4 screws from the inside holding it in place, and from the outside, a LOT of old nasty caulk holding it in place. I protected the camper with a blanket and leaned a straight ladder against the camper at an angle, to form a ramp. I took a piece of plywood and scooted the unit onto the plywood, and then onto the ladder and carefully slid it down the ladder. The unit weighed up to 200 lbs, but I have used that method to swap and remove ac's from the top of our Airstreams several times by myself. The worst part was prying the unit up from the caulk without damaging the roof.
Good Luck-
Joe