Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

How can I stop mold growth in drain tray

The drain from my penguin duo-therm roof air conditioner has been stopping up and causing the drain tray to fill and overflow into the trailer in my 19 foot bambi. It appears the growth is occuring in the pan and not so much in the drain line itself and the obstruction seems to occur right inside the pan around the drainage spout. Is there some way to prevent this or am I just going to have to take it apart every time the pan floods and poke q-tips into the spout.
It's a wet messy ordeal to go through and I've been having to do it every couple of months lately. Is there some way to introduce clorox or some other antimold antifungus chemical into the tray safely to prevent the growth in the first place?
Dallas
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
There is a 'pill' that prevents mold etc.
Get them at A/C service places.
A bag of them was really cheap...like $5
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I just kneel down beside the trailer, take the tube in my mouth, and blow into the tube when it blocks. That seems to last for at least a season. Chlorine will probably only have a short term effect.
Nick.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'd be cautious about a pill in that particular pan - wouldn't it be likely to cause a stoppage itself?

I'd still investigate to find out why the pan is not draining. You can kill what is growing up there by putting covering the drain and then letting a dilute solution of cloxox sit in the pan for a bit. But is there a chance the drain is not at a low point, thereby enabling water to sit? Is there a blockage, such as mud daubers' nest that reduces the flow to a trickle and it builds up that way?

As far as a more permanent solution to the mold, perhaps you could paint the bottom of the pan with paint laced with Kilz.

Good luck with an aggravating problem.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
The pills are made for this problem.
They dissolve when water hits them and become soft.
Green and white, about quarter size.
Ask at A/C shop, they will know what you need.
I may have seen these at Lowes too, but thoses guys may just look at you when you ask.
They are not going to stop up anything up unless you cram them in the hole.
And even then, they will dissolve.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Talking Dryan,

Try some clorine pool tablets or house hold bleach. It will kill mold and free up your lines. I use it on the fountains all the time and the water stays clean and clear no mold.
Regards from Russell in hot and sunny Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks to all of you for the tips. It's labor day today, but tomorrow, I am off to one of the local RV suppliers for those tablets. I unscrewed the plug that screws into the side of the drain tray as it also appeared to be leaking around the threads ( it is a plastic nipple/plug or whatever you call it that the hose attaches to) that is screwed into the plastic pan. When I removed it, a huge mass of dark green/brown gooey stuff came out and fell into the bucket I had positioned on the floor along with the full water contents of the tray. The gooey mess was about half the size of my thumb and it appeared to have been slightly attached to the inside side of the plug. So I had two problems, leakage around the threads and mold/fungus stopping up the line, causing overflow over the top of the pan. Anyway, I cleaned and reinserted the plug with teflon tape to seal the threads. So far, no more leaking and the topside of the air conditioner shroud has dried out overnight. If those tablets will prevent this in the future, I will just start using them every month or whatever the directions say. Thanks again,
Dallas
dryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
Yearly maintenance, get a 12' piece of # 12 multy strand wire (19strands) strip 3/8" of insulation from the end, then flair the copper strands over like a chimney sweeps brush, insert into the drain tub, all 11' this will keep the drain tub clear, and there wont ever be any slim or mold. dont forget to remove the wire.

good luck
drive safe
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote