Old 03-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Comanche , Texas
HOT IN TEXAS!!!! Upgrade a 13,000 BTU to a 15,000 BTU? Does it help?

My husband and I live in Texas--which you know is HOT HOT HOT during the summers. Our Airstream is a 1992 Excella 27' with the middle bathroom and twin beds in the back. We currently have a 13,000 BTU brand new air conditioner (non-ducted Duo Therm brand) and it just seems that we can't get the Airstream cool during the summer at all. Especially the back room where the beds are. We know the unit is working properly and understand the differential that if its 105 outside it will be 90 inside. But, we have gone in other airstreams during the summer and they seem to be WAY MORE COOL inside than ours. Is it just the way ours is arranged?

We were wondering what the best option to cool an airstream configured like ours is in the summer Texas heat. Should we upgrade to a 15,000 BTU unit? Would that help at all? Just use vornado fans to circulate the air (which we already do and it doesnt help)? We are open for suggestions.....

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Everett , Washington
You could add a second unit if it is feasible with your power system capacity. Or you could try a portable AC unit. Do you leave a roof vent cracked open to exhaust the hot air at the opposite end from the ac?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I think you should consider adding another unit for the bedroom. Colonial Airstream seems to be adding a second HVAC to many of the units they sell that are 27 feet and larger. I believe two AC units will require 50 amp service.

You say the AC is new. You will gain some with 15000 btu but how much money will it cost you to make the switch?

We changed out our 11,000 btu AC unit for a 15,000 btu Heat Pump (dometic penguin) in our 25 foot trailer last summer. We some times also use a small barrel shaped fan to blow heated or cooled air back to the bedroom. We set the fan on the floor in the front of the trailer and aim the discharge of the fan at the discharge of the Heat Pump. So the fan moves the warm or cool air from the heat pump back to the bedroom. This works very well. I read about using a small barrel fan, in this fashion, here on the Airforums.

Hope this is helpful information.

Here is link to the type fan I am talking about.

Amazon.com: Lasko 655704 Multi Purpose Pivoting Utility Fan: Home & Kitchen
Old 03-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Comanche , Texas
@62-SS: We have a 30 amp service now. We considered adding a second unit but wondered if it was difficult to change 30 amp to 50 amp, and, where would the water drain out?

I am not familiar with a portable AC unit. Is it similar to a portable fan? Where does it drain, etc.? (sorry, I am obviously not very knowledgable in this area:-)

@Ridgerunner3: Good point about the cost to switch it out to a 15,000 Unit. I wonder how difficult it is to add a second unit, which, I'm guessing we would have to change from 30 amp to 50 amp and I wonder where it would drain? Right now our only air conditioner drains down a hose inside of the side wall to a little spout on the bottom and onto the ground :-) Wonder what we would do to make a second unit drain?

I'm on my way to check that fan out right now! Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I have a 15K BTU on my 26' Overlander, and it's decent on a 100+ degree day. I don't think anything less would provide enough cooling.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhead13 View Post
@62-SS: We have a 30 amp service now. We considered adding a second unit but wondered if it was difficult to change 30 amp to 50 amp, and, where would the water drain out?

I am not familiar with a portable AC unit. Is it similar to a portable fan? Where does it drain, etc.? (sorry, I am obviously not very knowledgable in this area:-)

@Ridgerunner3: Good point about the cost to switch it out to a 15,000 Unit. I wonder how difficult it is to add a second unit, which, I'm guessing we would have to change from 30 amp to 50 amp and I wonder where it would drain? Right now our only air conditioner drains down a hose inside of the side wall to a little spout on the bottom and onto the ground :-) Wonder what we would do to make a second unit drain?

I'm on my way to check that fan out right now! Thanks!
I would try the fan before spending money on another AC. The fan works wonders if you can stand the breeze blowing in the trailer. You can usually find that type fan at Lowes or Home Depot for around $50.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Bowhead, there are many of us in this boat. I also have a 28' with a 13500 btu a/c and live in Texas. Upgrading to 15000 is about a 15% increase in btu. If I needed to replace it, I would opt for the larger size. In the meanwhile we close off the bedroom during the heat of the day, and open the accordion door in the early evening. That is a workable compromise for us. The one thing that isn't big here are shade trees!
Old 03-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Bowhead,

We are moving to Austin and will be living in our 31. I'm taking out the old Armstrong and putting in a 15k unit. Anyone have experience with the Coleman models?

I was wondering, is your trailer under covered at all? We are going to be under a roof... I hope that plus the new 15k Will work for us.

Thanx

http://ismelltexas.wordpress.com
texasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We have two airconditioners on our 31', and when it's 100 outside, the best you can hope for is 80 inside. That's because an "Air Conditioner" will only give you a 20 degree drop in temperature, best case.

A "Refrigiration Unit" like is in your vehicle will drop the temperature a lot more. It has to do with the type of refrigerant that is used, and pressure diffirential it runs with.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This is probably blasphemy but you could paint the roof white and find as much shade as possible. Also awnings will help a ton and close curtins (preferably white) or have the white roll up shades. A ton of heat comes in through sun facing windows. Putting a tent over the whole trailer would help. It is not the air temperature as much as the heat that is coming into the trailer from sunlight. Two AC units might work as well but if you are letting tons of heat into the trailer through windows and the roof that may not help that much. You could also put some of that Radition barrier stuff on the inside of the sun facing windows. It looks like shiney bubble wrap.

Perry
Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
The radiant barrier that AS is coating the new trailer roofs with really helps to reduce the heat gain from the sun and keep it cooler inside.

A patio mister hose stretched along the roof with the nozzles pointing upwards will drop the interior temp by 15 on a hot day, but many here will object to the lime stains left on the trailer by hard water.

The traditional remedy in Texas is to drink lots of iced sun tea.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
We have a 30' excella with the 13.5 A/C We run a small fan in the bedroom at all times and it helps considerably. When the time comes, will probably go to a 15.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
The traditional remedy in Texas is to drink lots of iced sun tea.
... or ice cold Shiner Bock!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Our trailer has the white roof, and I guess it helps. however if any of you were in Sedalia at the International Rally last summer you know how hot it was.

We had only 30 amp service, so could only run one airconditioner. We had it running full bore, all the awnings out, went and bought the windshield aluminum foil backed bubble wrap for all the windows on the West side, and still it would get to 87 degrees inside the trailer in the heat of the afternoon. But, it cooled down nicely at night.

There's only so much you can do in the heat of the day.