Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Help with 85 Heat and Water Heater

Everyone has been so helpful over the last few months. Just purchased another AS 1985 Excella that sat forever. Water heater has electric start and I can't seem to get it going. Same with furnace, just blows air.

So I have a Campers World near and they seem to do good work. Based on comments here I am thinking I don't need to be working with gas.

Do I start with regular clean out and see if that works or begin with having them find what is wrong.

What I would hate to do is spend money just to replace.

As always thanks.
Kevin
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashBuff View Post
Everyone has been so helpful over the last few months. Just purchased another AS 1985 Excella that sat forever. Water heater has electric start and I can't seem to get it going. Same with furnace, just blows air.

So I have a Campers World near and they seem to do good work. Based on comments here I am thinking I don't need to be working with gas.

Do I start with regular clean out and see if that works or begin with having them find what is wrong.

What I would hate to do is spend money just to replace.

As always thanks.
Kevin
AnyAirstream that has sat forever, should be examined from top to bottom and front to rear.

All the appliances will need attention. All the exterior gaskets will need attention, especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, that are good for 2 to 3 years.

An absolute shake down of the LPG system is a must along with making sure the pressure is correct. The furnace should be removed and disassembled, to clean out the mud dobbers, check the gaskets, etc. The AC should have gauges put on it, to assure that is has a correct charge of Freon. The refrigerator burner, orifice and flue should all be cleaned. The holding tanks and fresh water tanks should be filled with water and checked for leaks.

Brakes, bearings, and anything associated with them, should be examined and corrected if necessary, along with shocks, etc. Tires should be replaced if over 5 years old. Make sure the trailer is very road worthy. Running gear should be balanced.

Part of the problem for you is that someone who is very familair with an Airstream should examine it for you, as they would know how each and every system on your trailer functions and why.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Part of the problem for you is that someone who is very familair with an Airstream should examine it for you, as they would know how each and every system on your trailer functions and why.
Andy, we're all wanna-be's. That's the best reason for joining the forum! NashBuff, Andy wrote up a fairly thorough list of points to check. Track 'em down and ask if you have any questions. Personally, I don't care for CW that much -- heard too many stories -- they are more in tune to modern electronics -- "Oh, it was off two skoshes so I replaced the mother board."

Open any accesses you can along the floor & inspect the perimeter of the floor where it meets the sidewalls.

Back to Andy's list -- a nugget from our archives - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Andy, we're all wanna-be's. That's the best reason for joining the forum! NashBuff, Andy wrote up a fairly thorough list of points to check. Track 'em down and ask if you have any questions. Personally, I don't care for CW that much -- heard too many stories -- they are more in tune to modern electronics -- "Oh, it was off two skoshes so I replaced the mother board."

Open any accesses you can along the floor & inspect the perimeter of the floor where it meets the sidewalls.

Back to Andy's list -- a nugget from our archives - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...nts-24437.html
Bob.

I agree, Airstream and Argosy owners are for most part, wanna-be's.

That's the fun part of the Airstream Forums.

However, that's far removed from a wanna-be's shop, that say they can do whatever to an Airstream, only to find out that the trailer owners received a butcher job at a huge expense.

I strongly suggest, and have for years, that if an owner wishes to use a wanna-be shop, check out their credentials, to assure themselves that they don't get ripped off.

We see, unfortunately, all to often, a butcher job, that was expensive, and was wrong from the get-go, that now needs to be corrected, and again, at the owners expense.

Insurance companies rarely will pay for a rework. Subrogation for them is expensive.

Probably number one on that list, is sheet metal repair and/or replacement, that was done incorrectly from the beginning.

Airstream owners, have a top quality product and to us, deserve top quality shop repairs, regardless of the nature.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
I have been checking things out pretty well. And for the most part everything is in great shape. Thanks for the ideas.
I am now thinking about just putting in a new water heater instead of spending any money on it, and just use a plug in heater this year. After all the units are 30 years old.
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote