Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Help :( Wasp Nest in our AC

I guess you know you've been in a camp spot long enough when the resident wasps decide to make home in your AC. It was sooooo hot on Lopez Island here in the San Juan Islands of Washington state that I finally broke down and decided to turn on the AC. Happy as clams we were inside where it was nice and cool but all of a sudden we noticed all these wasps appearing on the exterior of windows.

Then one came in through the AC and that was it.

I went outside to have a look at what was happening and low and behold a swarm of them were buzzing around the unit obviously very well annoyed that the AC had been turned on.

B and I left the island on the next ferry back home to the mainland and hubby stayed behind to try and remedy the situation.

His solution? Hook her up to the truck and drive around the island in hopes of "blowing" them out. He called me the following morning proudly announcing they were "gone."

So here we are, back on the mainland with Airstream and I guess we still have few residents left.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of them without using bug spray? We don't want to inhale the chemicals...

Old 08-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Bite the bullet

Go get the spray! Worth NOT getting stung. Spray the nest if you can see it. Drive to Walmart and let it air out. Then get up there and take the cover off and deal with removing the nest. If it is built in the fan then you may get a lot of vibration if you don't remove the nest. Sorry to hear your dilemma.

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Befriend the cuddly little creatures.

Seriously, this calls for bug spray. Get the wasp killer that lets you stand off at a distance. Wait till dark to catch them on the nest and deal with the problem. The chemicals will clear up in a day or so—they're on the outside anyway.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Definately get the spray. Make sure its for wasps and hornets. And wait til night time so you catch all of them. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
So you don't think the chemicals will work their way into the Airstream's cabin?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Raid Wasp and Hornet. 0.02% prallethrin 0.05% cypermethrin 99.93% other (basically kerosene I believe). Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM View Post
So you don't think the chemicals will work they're way into the Airstream's cabin?
The air-conditioner doesn't move air from the outside in. In fact, like a home, sealing up the trailer provides the greatest efficiency for heating and cooling systems.

I'm not saying that there is zero chance that a little might work its way in. That would be tantamount to saying that there is zero chance of a leak of any kind. It's just that it will be minimal if at all.

Also, don't use the entire can of wasp spray. Just use enough to wet down the wasps and the nest. Once they are dead, you can cleanup with a shop vac—if you have enough hose. I don't hesitate to use wasp spray, and I find that a can lasts more than one season. You're really not using that much.

On edit, I agree with noreen. I find that the Raid works best for me.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
Just checking the Raid can Which I will be using tinight on the nest being built inside the fuel door on my pickup). Questions? www.killsbugsdead.com Call 800-558-5252. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Airstreamer

Bellevue , Washington
You are all so wonderful, thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
As a less smelly / chemically reactive alternative, we have found that "409" and "Windex" spray kill the wasps around here in less than 10 seconds ... not instantaneous, but far less likely to cause damage to fiberglass or vinyl trim. If they are not swarming it works well. We have also tried "WD-40" and have had good luck on wasps; however, none of these products shoots a stream very far. I am exceedingly cautious around wasps and also carry an epi-pen in case of an allergic response to a sting. Reminder that wasps can sting you multiple times!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Being a beekeeper, I'd don my protective gear and remove the shroud. If you don’t have the gear, or a willing friend who does then your best bet is a commercially available spray. The issue is that you have to get to the nest, which may not be visible without removing the AC shroud, so it's a risky endeavor.

Let's set the scene: You're trying to kill an unseen nest while standing on top of a trailer in the dark. Is your insurance up to date? Allergic to stinging insects?

You will disturb them during this process and if you're using a flashlight they will attack it if they can't see the attacker. I would strongly suggest that whoever is doing the killing wear long pants, long sleeves, gloves, and something over their face if possible. Preferably light colored clothing as most natural predators are dark and furry, and being dressed like one will elicit an attack response. Depending on how big the nest is they may come out of several openings in the shroud so you I wouldn't be too conservative with the spray. Use as much as you need, then immediately wash the area down with soapy water. Soapy water will help clean the spray off, and it will suffocate any living wasps it comes into contact with. Afterwards you can rinse things down with fresh water.

Good luck,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might want to try covering the bottom of the ac inside to keep them from entering the trailer. it might help with the fumes too. use painters tape or something that does not live glue behind.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
I have always had good luck using a strong soapy water solution. I have even thrown it on them while flying, and it will drop them out of the air.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I heard they dont like Vinegar. You could try straight Vinegar spray.