Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am deathly allergic to wasp stings. Two weeks ago I spent the night in the emergency room after being attacked by a mob of wasp in my backyard and getting 4 stings on my hand and forearm. My hand is still not feeling or working right. So as far as I am concerned I could care less about the environment when it comes to killing wasp. In fact I look for "not for sale in the state of California" when shopping for bug sprays or pretty much any product. Kill them all and let God sort it out as far as I am concerned. Big fan of the Raid Wasp killer, knocks them right out of the sky from 15 feet.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Newport , Rhode Island
The Best

Hornet and Wasp Jet Bomb*::*Aerosols / Sprays*::*Shoo-Fly: automatic fly spray & auto fly control system for barns, homes & outdoor applications

Shoo-fly wasp and hornet spray - allows alot of distance between the bugs and you.
queenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanologist View Post
If your AC is a dual system, this worked for me. I closed the interior vents and powered up the Heat Pump and ran it for 15 minutes. While outside of the AS I watched to see if critters left due to the heat. Also, make sure that you put wire vents over all furnace, hot water heater, fridge fan openings. Wasps and bees live to set up home in the heating tubes, etc.
If your goal is to HEAT the outside part of the unit, it should be running in AC mode. That'll chill the inside coils and heat the outside ones. If you run it in heat-pump mode, it heats the interior coils and cools the outside ones, to the point that when ambient temps are low the outside coils will often ice up and the unit will have to go through a sometimes-noisy process of de-icing them.

Parts of the unit will always heat up just due to the energy required to run the fans and compressor, of course, whichever direction the unit is running.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Those wasps are really horrible I have to say from reading some of the experiences you have all went through. Scares me! I have never been stung by one and I never ever want to. I also didn't know they can sting multiple times -- goodness!

They are really vile little creatures. I was amazed that while having breakfast outdoors one of the little buggers flew onto my plate and literally picked up a piece of BREAKFAST SAUSAGE and flew off with it! The sausage was ten times bigger than the wasp and off it went....it was a bizarre sight indeed.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Post Wasp & Bee Stings/Life and Death

I'm highly reactive but not hyperallergic to these stings. ANYONE can develop sensitivity without warning, and if you're already sensitive, it tends to get worse. Anaphalactic Shock is what kills you - your diaphram and/or the air sacs in your lungs become paralyzed and you cannot breathe.

Once you've been diagnosed as hyper allergic, your doctor should prescribe an "epi-pen" epinepherine injector, and train you how to use it. (It's basically slam it into a leg or arm muscle.)

FIRST AID TREATMENTS
I've included two OTC medicines in my first aid kit.
  • Benedril Liquid - reduces swelling and overall allergic reaction
  • Primatine Inhaler (epinepherine spray)
Brewed caffinated coffee is also helpful if you are far from an e/r.

BEES - bees die after they sting you. The stinger is barbed and the bees eject it along with half of their guts when they sting. To remove a bee stinger, always push it out from the point outward - that pushes the venom away from the open wound. Your fingernail or the edge of a credit card works fine to push stingers. Push the stingers out, push the venom out. Using tweezers or pinch and pull with your fingers INJECTS more venom!

WASPS sting again and again, they don't leave a stinger, just a small amount of venom, leaving the stings alone rarely hurts. You can simply suck the stings to pull some venom out.

The first thing you should do is use the epi-pen or the inhaler - The spray tastes like a dirty catbox smells - and it's hard to get it into the lungs, but if you get one good whiff and hold it for 10 seconds, it'll become possible to breathe almost instantly. Next a standard dose of Benedril, the start working on the stings while someone calls for an ambulance. It's a good idea to go to the emergency room even if the field treatment works 100% - bounce back symptoms can happen for hours and hospitals can do more to get you stable. If you're a long way to a hospital or feel you have to drive, start loading coffee into the person who has been stung. Sugar is fine but no cream (causes phlegm). The caffiene helps the lungs work.

If you ever see someone stung and don't have an inhaler or pen, CALL 911 FIRST, then remember the lungs are paralyzed - and the victim normally panics. The victim cannot EXHALE, so rather than CPR, you can talk them down - first we're going to bend you over, tighten your arms down and squeeeze your lungs down then I'm going to pull your arms way up over your head and bend you backwards, that will suck some air into your lungs. We'll keep doing it until your lungs start working again. Think of the victim's lungs as an accordian. The second the victim gets a little air in, the panic will start to subside. Getting some of the venom out will help but one person should always stick with the breathing and keep up 15 respirations per minute. The victim can lie down to breathe in, but you'll need them to be pulled up to squeeze it out. Many people can actually squeeze their own ribs in and out and help themselves once they realize exhaling is the real problem. Shouting "Does anybody have an asthma inhaler?" isn't a bad idea if you're in a public park, etc.

Paula
Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Paula, good stuff, thank you. Are you an HM by any chance? This recent experience with the wasp stings really caught me off guard. When I was a kid I always carried epi-pens everywhere I went because of my reactions to bee and wasp stings. As I got older and not necessarily wiser I stopped carrying them. Scary stuff when your lungs stop working and your hand/arm swells to double size in a matter of minutes. I now carry epi-pens once again and plan on never being without them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
HM? If I don't know what it is, I probably am not.

Where I learned this stuff? Painful experience. I grew up on the edge of a small town and used to roam in the woods with my brother or sister - and sometimes alone. Got stung badly, and was probably about 4 miles from home and couldn't breathe. I just kinda figured out the mechanics of forcing my lungs to work thanks to my experience as a crash test dummy.
(My brother was a Boy Scout and he never got a merit badge that didn't involve me getting bandaged, splinted or saved from near drowning. This was BEFORE CPR - and you laid a victim face down, sat on the small of his back, pushed against his lungs with your hands and upper body weight, then pulled back on the upper arms until the victim's chest came off the ground.

Anyway I did figure out that I couldn't breathe in because my lungs were full - and was able to force air out then by raising my arms get some in. I got the stingers out, went home and put some kind of lotion on them.

I never went to the hospital because I hid the stings to avoid the big lecture - and mom didn't spot them for a day or two. By the next time it happened, we'd both figured out how severe those bee stings could be. I learned to get the stinger out immediately - and never had a super severe issue again. Of course the wasps on the side of the face - couldn't do anything but inhaler and Benedril. Uncomfortable as hell, but didn't get dangerous.

Pauls
Old 08-16-2012, 07:49 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
A couple of additional points ... be cautious of the liquid "carrier" of the insect spray; if it evaporates quickly, there is a good chance that it will also soften at least the surface of any flexible plastic and many surface coatings with which it comes into contact. Almost any detergent / soap based product will suffocate and kill the wasps very quickly -but not immediate as in some of the more volatile based carriers. Be aware that some of those carriers may still also be flammable. We softened and stained the siding on our house with a "commercial" wasp killer spray provided by the power company (wasps are also drawn to the hum produced by transformers). You can buy a heavy duty yard / garden sprayer that will shoot a stream of liquid 10-15 feet (as opposed to just a hand spray bottle); however, the mist works best when they are out of the nest. Wasps are drawn to open cans of soda as well as an open sore or wound (or meat juices / barbeque residue as well as some "sweet" liquids) and have "attacked" (remember the multiple sting ability of wasps) just a cut in my finger - resulting in overnight IV medication. Be cautious when drinking from an open pop can in any area known to have wasps.

Also as indicated above, the reaction to the (multiple) wasp stings may be either local (swelling near the sting site) or systemic (life threatening) / anaphalactic shock accompanied by swelling / closure of the airways. Please - if you feel any respiratory distress, do NOT attempt to self-medicate; seek / call for prompt medical attention. Yes, from both personal experience and as an EMT with many years field experience. Caffeine, Benedril, inhalers will only mitigate the symptoms; IMO if you are truly experiencing an allergic systemic reaction, you will need the epi injection and/or qualified medical treatment. In my case, as I have gotten older, the cumulative effect of all those bee and wasp stings in my earlier years seems to have increased my sensitivity to the venom; we have -over the last few years - had a tremendous increase in the number and size of wasps here in Montana... even the wildland fire fighters are discovering the dangers of wasps!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Yes, P, today is a gift. Well said !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A couple of additional points ... be cautious of the liquid "carrier" of the insect spray; if it evaporates quickly, there is a good chance that it will also soften at least the surface of any flexible plastic and many surface coatings with which it comes into contact. Almost any detergent / soap based product will suffocate and kill the wasps very quickly -but not immediate as in some of the more volatile based carriers. Be aware that some of those carriers may still also be flammable. We softened and stained the siding on our house with a "commercial" wasp killer spray provided by the power company (wasps are also drawn to the hum produced by transformers). You can buy a heavy duty yard / garden sprayer that will shoot a stream of liquid 10-15 feet (as opposed to just a hand spray bottle); however, the mist works best when they are out of the nest. Wasps are drawn to open cans of soda as well as an open sore or wound (or meat juices / barbeque residue as well as some "sweet" liquids) and have "attacked" (remember the multiple sting ability of wasps) just a cut in my finger - resulting in overnight IV medication. Be cautious when drinking from an open pop can in any area known to have wasps.

Also as indicated above, the reaction to the (multiple) wasp stings may be either local (swelling near the sting site) or systemic (life threatening) / anaphalactic shock accompanied by swelling / closure of the airways. Please - if you feel any respiratory distress, do NOT attempt to self-medicate; seek / call for prompt medical attention. Yes, from both personal experience and as an EMT with many years field experience. Caffeine, Benedril, inhalers will only mitigate the symptoms; IMO if you are truly experiencing an allergic systemic reaction, you will need the epi injection and/or qualified medical treatment. In my case, as I have gotten older, the cumulative effect of all those bee and wasp stings in my earlier years seems to have increased my sensitivity to the venom; we have -over the last few years - had a tremendous increase in the number and size of wasps here in Montana... even the wildland fire fighters are discovering the dangers of wasps!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Yes, P, today is a gift. Well said !
Thank you for making that point. First Aid is good to use if you're an hour from the nearest hospital, but it's strictly for hanging on while someone is getting you there. If you're in the city and near a hospital, call 911 and get that high-speed run to the hospital. If you've ever been prescribed an epi-pen, carry it 100% of the time. Even if you have a nasty reaction that isn't life threatening it's a warning that the next time is likely to be worse. I'd rather see a doctor than have an undertaker see me!

My last wasp sting was actually milder than some I've had, though that's not the norm. Thinking back though, I've gotten a lot of bee stings, but I think this was the first wasp in decades.

I am also a mosquito magnet. If I'm standing in a group of people and none of us are wearing bug repellent I'll get 20 stings and everyone around me gets none. I understand that the propane powered mosquito attractant/traps burn something that smells like ox spit - which mosquitos aparently love. I guess I'd better quit eating those garlic and slug sandwiches. There's something about my body chemistry that attracts skeeters. The first ones every season itch like hell and I get bumps that last for a day or two, but by August I'm virtually non-reactive.

Wasps love sweaty people. I got ot on the side of my forehead by the hairline while I was hurrying to break camp and get moved before a 10 am deadline... sweat running down! From now on I'll have to shower and then douse myself with Avon Skin So Soft, then break camp.

Anybody know what I can I eat or drink that will make me smell like "Deep Woods Off"? I will use Deet products, but I notice a sort of odd internal "hit" the minute I put it on.

Paula
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Anybody know what I can I eat or drink that will make me smell like "Deep Woods Off"? I will use Deet products, but I notice a sort of odd internal "hit" the minute I put it on.

Paula
Try vitamin B12. If you can stand your own smell after taking it for a while it should repell mosquitos. My doctor told me to take it for heart health, but I decided mosquito bites were more pleasant. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Boy can I relate to the insect magnet ... same story here for mosquito bites. We used to determine how many miles that I had run by the number of mosquito bites collected ... step, step, step, swish back then front with shirt ... repeat as necessary!

The folks in the Mosquito Capital of MT try to drink vinegar and eat garlic...until you reek ... as a repellent ... mosquitoes, burgs of all sorts, and people, too !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Replaced my ac shroud and found a hornets nest that would have been really hard to get with spray. Big as a volleyball.

I'm super scared of hornets. I would have dove off the roof if any were left.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160601_17_41_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	263693  
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario