Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
A couple of additional points ... be cautious of the liquid "carrier" of the insect spray; if it evaporates quickly, there is a good chance that it will also soften at least the surface of any flexible plastic and many surface coatings with which it comes into contact. Almost any detergent / soap based product will suffocate and kill the wasps very quickly -but not immediate as in some of the more volatile based carriers. Be aware that some of those carriers may still also be flammable. We softened and stained the siding on our house with a "commercial" wasp killer spray provided by the power company (wasps are also drawn to the hum produced by transformers). You can buy a heavy duty yard / garden sprayer that will shoot a stream of liquid 10-15 feet (as opposed to just a hand spray bottle); however, the mist works best when they are out of the nest. Wasps are drawn to open cans of soda as well as an open sore or wound (or meat juices / barbeque residue as well as some "sweet" liquids) and have "attacked" (remember the multiple sting ability of wasps) just a cut in my finger - resulting in overnight IV medication. Be cautious when drinking from an open pop can in any area known to have wasps.

Also as indicated above, the reaction to the (multiple) wasp stings may be either local (swelling near the sting site) or systemic (life threatening) / anaphalactic shock accompanied by swelling / closure of the airways. Please - if you feel any respiratory distress, do NOT attempt to self-medicate; seek / call for prompt medical attention. Yes, from both personal experience and as an EMT with many years field experience. Caffeine, Benedril, inhalers will only mitigate the symptoms; IMO if you are truly experiencing an allergic systemic reaction, you will need the epi injection and/or qualified medical treatment. In my case, as I have gotten older, the cumulative effect of all those bee and wasp stings in my earlier years seems to have increased my sensitivity to the venom; we have -over the last few years - had a tremendous increase in the number and size of wasps here in Montana... even the wildland fire fighters are discovering the dangers of wasps!
__________________________________________________ _________________

Yes, P, today is a gift. Well said !
Thank you for making that point. First Aid is good to use if you're an hour from the nearest hospital, but it's strictly for hanging on while someone is getting you there. If you're in the city and near a hospital, call 911 and get that high-speed run to the hospital. If you've ever been prescribed an epi-pen, carry it 100% of the time. Even if you have a nasty reaction that isn't life threatening it's a warning that the next time is likely to be worse. I'd rather see a doctor than have an undertaker see me!

My last wasp sting was actually milder than some I've had, though that's not the norm. Thinking back though, I've gotten a lot of bee stings, but I think this was the first wasp in decades.

I am also a mosquito magnet. If I'm standing in a group of people and none of us are wearing bug repellent I'll get 20 stings and everyone around me gets none. I understand that the propane powered mosquito attractant/traps burn something that smells like ox spit - which mosquitos aparently love. I guess I'd better quit eating those garlic and slug sandwiches. There's something about my body chemistry that attracts skeeters. The first ones every season itch like hell and I get bumps that last for a day or two, but by August I'm virtually non-reactive.

Wasps love sweaty people. I got ot on the side of my forehead by the hairline while I was hurrying to break camp and get moved before a 10 am deadline... sweat running down! From now on I'll have to shower and then douse myself with Avon Skin So Soft, then break camp.

Anybody know what I can I eat or drink that will make me smell like "Deep Woods Off"? I will use Deet products, but I notice a sort of odd internal "hit" the minute I put it on.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Anybody know what I can I eat or drink that will make me smell like "Deep Woods Off"? I will use Deet products, but I notice a sort of odd internal "hit" the minute I put it on.

Try vitamin B12. If you can stand your own smell after taking it for a while it should repell mosquitos. My doctor told me to take it for heart health, but I decided mosquito bites were more pleasant. Sal.

Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Boy can I relate to the insect magnet ... same story here for mosquito bites. We used to determine how many miles that I had run by the number of mosquito bites collected ... step, step, step, swish back then front with shirt ... repeat as necessary!

The folks in the Mosquito Capital of MT try to drink vinegar and eat garlic...until you reek ... as a repellent ... mosquitoes, burgs of all sorts, and people, too !
~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Replaced my ac shroud and found a hornets nest that would have been really hard to get with spray. Big as a volleyball.

I'm super scared of hornets. I would have dove off the roof if any were left.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160601_17_41_55_Pro.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	263693  
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Kill it with fire! Gah!