Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 PM   #1
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Help turning furnace on

We are now in our airstream for the third night since we bought it back in May. Back then, it was air conditioning. Now, it's time for furnace.

But I can't figure out how to turn it on. I know it must be something simple, but so far, it's not obvious. No switch marked "Furnace On". Airstream manual says its a Hydro Flame and its made by a real good company who have made a lot of them.

ANd if I have any other questions, I should look in the manual. Ah, but there is no manual in the package. Nothing.

I turned the thermostat in the bedroom ( 27FB Int'l) and the heat in the airconditioner in the ceiling works, so we are okay. 45 degrees outside, no big deal. But we are headed north.

Any hints on where to start? How do you turn the furnace on?

Television doesn't seem to work either. Not on cable, and not on antenna. And of course the Airstream manual is almost as equally vague about that. Not enough info to tell if the problem is the KOA cable, or the Samsung.

I suspect the Samsung, cause the roof antenna doesn't do anything either.

I'm just a few miles north of Wichita Falls, TX. Should be good tv here, I would think.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
The furnace is controlled by the same thermostat as the air conditioner. On/ off is a slide switch on the bottom edge of the controller, There is a "mode" switch which switches between ac, heat pump ( the overhead heat unit included in the ac) , and the furnace. Setting it to "furnace" and turning up the thermostat should fire up the furnace if all is well. You should hear the furnace blower start immediately. If outside, you will hear the clicking of the electronic ignitor until the furnace lights. If that isnt hsppening, I'd suspect a blown fuse or other flaw in the heater system......
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
One more hint with the tv.... On our 27fb, there's a wall plate with 2 cable connectors under the dinette. This is used to connect in a satellite receiver. If no receiver, these two connectors must be jumpered with a short piece of tv cable in order to get the signal to the tv.

And - when on a cable system at a park, the signal amplifier, controlled by the little black button on the outlet behind the tv, must be "off". Turn it "on" if you want to use the antenna.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Thanks Steverino.
It sounds like they might have changed the system. I have a Dometic thermostat in the bedroom. It has 11 buttons on it. Amazingly complicated for a trailer with an inside space of 8 x 24 ft. The Mode button cycles from Off to Cool to Auto to HP to A9AU to Fan. I have no clue what HP or A9AU are. Auto turns the heat strip in the roof on. There is no slide switch.

It was 38 degrees out this morning. We were glad for the heat strip, but it's annoyingly loud at night.

on the TV, the little jumper under the dinette is in place. Maybe there are no tv stations broadcasting in Wichita. And the KOA cable doesn't work. I guess it's possible.

We're headed for Palo Duro Canyon this morning. I don't expect tv down there in the bottom of the canyon. I guess the Comanches never needed it. so it might be a day or so before I can try again somewhere else.

I would email the manufacturer for the manual, but I suspect the one they have would not shed any light on the Airstream installation.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Manual?

Gringo,

Perhaps this might give you some help.

Airstream, Inc :: Manuals

I have an older version and I just toggle the mode switch until it says "furnace" in the window and I am good to go.

Good Luck.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
While fiddling with my CCC this past weekend, I noticed that the furnace does not show up as one of the "mode" options unless the fan is set to AUTO.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Gringo

HP probably means heat pump. Fan means that the fan is running constantly. I would try the auto setting or try the A9AU setting. If this does not work, I would google the thermostat manufacturer and try to get the owners manual. Sounds like you need it. Good luck getting heat.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
If you are looking for off the air reception on the TV, remember that you most likely need to "program" the stations that are available locally, each time you go to a new place. On the remote control, look for a menu button, and then for something like "setup" or "program stations". I can't be more specific, each TV has a different system, but I expect that is the issue. If you are using off the air, the thing programs the local digital signals, if on park cable, it will program the analog signals and so on. TV is complicated these days with all the options available from off the air, to cable, to satellite. Find a teanager, they generally can do it....grin.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Does Jackson Center still give owners the three-ring binder in a nice cordura satchel? In there are dozens and dozens of manufacturer instructions for each of the systems in your Airstream, large and small. I suspect there is one for just the thermostat.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
Does Jackson Center still give owners the three-ring binder in a nice cordura satchel? In there are dozens and dozens of manufacturer instructions for each of the systems in your Airstream, large and small. I suspect there is one for just the thermostat.
Yes. The bag has all the manuals including a Dometic CCC (Comfort Control Center) manual.

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Gringo,
You might try the Dometic website, I found the operating instructions for my thermostat (CCC, Comfort Control Center) printed it and I must say, it is helpful to have the correct instructions.
Good Luck
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Providenciales , BermudaTriangle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms4140 View Post
Yes. The bag has all the manuals including a Dometic CCC (Comfort Control Center) manual.

-Chris
well, mine didn't. nothing for the Dometic. Nothing for the furnace.

https://2gringos.blogspot.com
La Gringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
one of those

2011 27 FB International
This is Gringo on La Gringa's computer, btw. MY laptop isn't working for some reason. A whole nuther problem.

Had sleepless night last night, listening to the heat strip cycle on and off. It's way too noisy to sleep. Then at around 3 am it went off for about a half an hour, then the furnace came on! That was wonderful for the two hours until dawn, when we had to get up and leave. We drove from Palo Duro Canyon to Taos today. Now in Taos. Same problems with Furnace.

Jackson tech support is not much help yet. They are telling me that I should be able to choose furnace from the thermostat. That's not an option.

dang. I need to go punch something.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
about the television

You didn't say if you got the television working or not but along with running the auto program, make sure that if there is an antenna on off button that it is on... we put tv in the AS today and I couldn't figure out why it wouldnt program.... DW pushed the button and voila.... 52 over the air channels here in the DFW area.

hopefully the fox station in Tyler will be pulled in Saturday for the Rangers/Cardinals game. otherwise it will be the dulcet tones of the great Eric Nadel painting the World Series picture for us.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Top left of the thermostat is the on/off button. Push (maybe hold) to turn it on. The indicator will light up.

Push the "fan" button until it reads "auto".

Push the "mode" button until it reads "furnace".

Push the up or down arrows until it reads the temperature you want. (You can select F or C with another button.)

If the temperature in the trailer is cooler than the temperature you selected, the furnace fan should come on right away and the igniter will try to light the furnace.

If it worked last night, should work again unless you are out of propane. Both propane valves must be open for the auto regulator to switch from one to the other automatically.
Or unless something is restricting the outside furnace exhaust, such as wasps nest.

Other faults also possible. Let us know.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #16
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Can be frustrating. My new 2013 Cloud came with lots of manuals (mostly installation). Still searching for my Heat Pump/Furnace/AC manual. The installation manual list about 10 different models and I don't have a clue which model I have. Also took me awhile to figure out how to fire up the oven.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #17

1973 25' Tradewind
Kansas City , Missouri
Hey all!

I'm also having trouble getting my furnace started on my 1973 25' Tradewind. I followed the instructions in the manual and I even tried to light the pilot light with a match, but nothing. I was able to light my stovetop. My furnace is a Suburban and is separate from the air conditioner. Any ideas?
escapestream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
We are now in our airstream for the third night since we bought it back in May. Back then, it was air conditioning. Now, it's time for furnace.

But I can't figure out how to turn it on. I know it must be something simple, but so far, it's not obvious. No switch marked "Furnace On". Airstream manual says its a Hydro Flame and its made by a real good company who have made a lot of them.

ANd if I have any other questions, I should look in the manual. Ah, but there is no manual in the package. Nothing.

I turned the thermostat in the bedroom ( 27FB Int'l) and the heat in the airconditioner in the ceiling works, so we are okay. 45 degrees outside, no big deal. But we are headed north.

Any hints on where to start? How do you turn the furnace on?

Television doesn't seem to work either. Not on cable, and not on antenna. And of course the Airstream manual is almost as equally vague about that. Not enough info to tell if the problem is the KOA cable, or the Samsung.

I suspect the Samsung, cause the roof antenna doesn't do anything either.

I'm just a few miles north of Wichita Falls, TX. Should be good tv here, I would think.
I assume you only have 1 heat pump. Correct?
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
On my 2016 Flying Cloud 25RBT , To get the Furnace on the thermostat must be on Zone 2, I am posting this to help the next Rvr
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote