Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question Help! newbie-will this a/c fit my 26' 1976 Argosy?

Hello,

I'm new to this whole rv thing and to this forum. Last Sunday I bought a 26' 1976 Airstream Argosy. I had it towed up to a repairman/renovation to do some work on it.

I need to get an A/c. He didn't tell me the name/model of the a/c he would go pick up, but told me that it would be $743.75 for a 13,500 BTU w/heatstrip. I tried to do some searching here on these forums for brand names and on the internet. I found this deal and wondered if you all thought it would fit my rv on the top and on the ceiling.

The repairman said they should all be a standard size. He didn't seem to happy when I told him I wanted to buy one myself and ship it there. He said: "well, it's your baby, but I won't be responsible for shipping it back if it doesn't fit." or something like that..not the exact words he said.

Here is the link:
Dometic DUO THERM BRISK AIR CONDITIONER 13500 BTU - $459.99

This is considerable less than what he would buy even with the $99 shipping cost.

I called Dometic and they said they couldn't help me if this unit would be compatible with my rv as far as the amps and what not. They said to call Airstream.

What do you all think?

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Brian
BrianD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
trailer AC units a standard as far as roof hole and electrical needs. The difference with an Airstream/ Argosy is the fact that the roof is curved and thus you need a special plastic pan for the unit to sit on and seal to the roof.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question isn't pan already in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
trailer AC units a standard as far as roof hole and electrical needs. The difference with an Airstream/ Argosy is the fact that the roof is curved and thus you need a special plastic pan for the unit to sit on and seal to the roof.
Thanks for this response.

So, wouldn't this 'special plastic pan' already be in the Argosy with the orginal unit? If not where would one find such a pan?

Also, should I ask the restoration guy to let me keep the old unit and sell it out for parts or something like that? He said it had a bad compressor in it.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes if the trailer originally had an AC. Remove the old unit and check it against the bottom of the new unit for fit and location of the roof hole.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question

Thanks,

Quote:
Remove the old unit and check it against the bottom of the new unit for fit and location of the roof hole.
However you said:
Quote:
trailer AC units a standard as far as roof hole and electrical needs.
So if that's the case then this new AC should fit the hole correct? The problem is that this company I would buy from doesn't allow returns on electronic things. So, once I would get it I couldn't return it if it didn't fit.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help! newbie-will this a/c fit my 26' 1976 Argosy?

Greetings BrianD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD. View Post
Thanks,
However you said:

So if that's the case then this new AC should fit the hole correct? The problem is that this company I would buy from doesn't allow returns on electronic things. So, once I would get it I couldn't return it if it didn't fit.
The answer is "maybe" in regard to the question of whether the air conditioner will be a direct bolt-in replacement. If your Argosy has its original Armstrong Bay Breeze air conditioner, there isn't likely a current RV air conditioner that will use its roof openings (three rather small circular holes). The usual remedy is to cut a standard square opening surrounding these original holes to install a new air conditioner.

In choosing an air conditioner, Airstream only manufactures drip-pan-drains for a select few air conditioners so a call to a dealer is in order to find out which units their current pans accommodate. Another thing to consider is that not all new air conditioners will accommodate the wall thermostat in your Argosy - - it doesn't have to be used, but if you like this feature, you need to be certain that your new air conditioner accommodates this feature.

I didn't think that a condesate drain would be critical on a painted Argosy, but I have learned my lesson with the Coleman air conditioner that I had installed on my Minuet. The condesate produces rust streaks all along the streetside of my coach. The stains polish out, but they are a nuisance that I hadn't counted upon.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
What did you do about the A/C

I have a 1978 24' Argosy and will be replacing the A/c before this summer. What did you do about yours?

Thanks
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I installed a new 13,500 on mine. I removed the original unit, filled the screw holes, framed the opening and bolted the unit in. My replacement didn't include an internal condensation pan to make use of the OEM drain hose. My replacement unit didn't include the inside duct/trim component or the heat strip.

I bought it locally, all for less than $600 in 2010.

I installed it myself. It was no big deal. Some details are on my blog at the link to the left.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
Make & Model

What was the make and model of the AC? I called a Air Stream dealer and they said I needed the AC by Gree or Doemtec then a new seal kit the unit anf install was about $1500.

I looked up 13,500 BTU ACs and there seems to be two manufactureres : Coleman and Domtec. The units run about $700 then heat strip, and interior cover and shipping. Shipping is $120 ouch.

Thanks for more info
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought this one from this guy.

Duo-Therm R.V. Air Conditioner

He's about 35 miles or so from my home.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote