Old 01-17-2003, 09:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Exclamation Water -column gauge

There's a more detailed explanation with diagram at this web page:

If you have Bob Livingston's book the diagram is on page 2.5.

Compare the diagram at the web page with the one in Livingston's book! They are identical, but both are copyrighted.

Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 12:42 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
I too have problems with the heater pilot staying lit. I got the trailer from my Dad last summer and he said the furnace gave him fits. I haven't worked on it yet since I've been restoring the rest of it. I had the outside shrouds off when I polished my trailer. I installed stainless steel screen with a similar mesh size as you have on window screen on all of the vents to the outside to keep the critters out. When I pulled the outside shrouds off I found dirt dobbers, red wasps and spiders in mine. I know this will affect the functionality of the unit due to air flow restrictions. Maybe that had something to do with it not working for Dad. I'll give it a try in the near future and see. I tried to cover every other hole in my trailer with screen also. Roof sewer vents, hot water heater vents, refrigerator vents, A/C vents on the old Duo Therm. Every thing I pulled off the trailer was full of critter nests! I also had a couple of mouse nests inside the trailer so I tried to caulk and screen everything.

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Ref: Thumb over end of hose....

Actually, there is an increase of water pressure at the end of the hose, thats why the stream of water can shoot further out. The physics of the situation is exchanging flow rate for pressure, i.e., converting kinetic energy (flow) to static energy (pressure). Of course, the pressure is limited to, say in a home, the pressure coming from the city water main.
roessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 09:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
Question Crimp in line or thumb on end of hose?

Are we comparing apples to oranges though? The original question was if a crimp in the gas line increases or decreases the gas pressure at the exit (at the appliance?) Does the water pressure in a hose compare to the gas pressure in a line. Do they share the same physics? I'm not saying that I know one way or the other, but it seems to me the two might be quite different.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:41 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
crimped hose

Actually water shoots further out when you pinch off a garden hose because of (assuming that flow rate stays the same) the increased velocity necessary to maintain a given gpm through the smaller orrifice at the pinched end. Guage pressure would increase because of the added friction loss at the smaller end, which is a result of the increased velocity of the flowing liquid.

Water and gas do not have the same dynamics because of the different compressability factors of the two.

wallybyam is offline   Reply With Quote