Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Help Carrier AC dripping water

I installed the carrier AC on my Airstream a few years back and hooked up the older interior drain to a small brass fitting inserted in the bottom of the small carrier drip pan. It has worked great and others have done the same procedure. However today after the trailer has been at home hooked up with the AC on I found water dripping through the interior cover. So I removed the cover and could feel water in the small drain pan so the drain was blocked. In order to get to this I had to remove the 4 bolts holding the bottom plate and after rmoveing the rubber hose to the brass fiting no water came out. So I took a small wire and after sticking it through the brass fitting a full stream of water gushed out. Problem solved, right. NO. I hooked up the drain hose again and water was flowing out the line by the wheel well. But after a couple of hours the brass fitting had stopped up again. I had not put the AC back together as yet so I again cleaned the fitting and water was flowing again. there must be some built up in the small pan that I cannot get to that stops up the fitting. Any suggestions on cleaning this out. I can't get to it from the outside on top since this is all sealed. We are leaving on a trip tomorrow morning and I must put it all together again before we leave.

Thanks

Don

Old 06-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You should be able to see the face of the coils. If so spray the coils with Simple Green. That will flow down into the drip pan and may dissolve the dirt or algae that has collected in the pan. If Simple Green does not do it get some AC coil cleaner, a bit stronger stuff.

You may have to keep working the drain hole in the pan and applying sprayed water to the coils to complete the flush.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
My guess...added to HowieEs', would be a slime build up in the pan. Get some clorox in there to clean and remove the problem mold/sludge,
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Don,
I experienced almost same problem 3 or 4 years ago. Someone suggest that I insert air into the bottom of drain tube (at the tire) and blow back in the reverse direction. It cleared the line, the drain worked well after. (Place a towel or something inside the cover to prevent a mess.) Hope this might be of help.
Good luck!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I will try spraying the coils with simple green. I may also try and get a little clorox in there. I did blow air back through the brass fitting and could see water blowing up. The line throiugh the trailer from the fitting is clear. I have the AC running with a clear tube attached to the fitting and it is long enough to run over to the kitchen sink. It has been draining fine for several hours with no back up. Maybe with the suggestions above I can start putting this back together.

Thanks for the input

Don
Old 06-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I don't know if the coils are aluminum but my understanding is Simple Green and aluminum don't go well together. I haven't checked a bottle recently but recall that's a concern with Simple Green.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
It worked fine for a while but is now leaking again through the inside cover. I wonder why it is not daring to the roof as it should. The drain was an add on and even though it is stopped up it should drain to the roof as opposed to overflowing and leaking in side , right

Don
Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
McLeod , Texas
Wish I knew the answer to this problem, but i don't.Currently camping in Arkansas, and having the same problem.We do not have AC attached to drain hose because there is no fitting.This unit is about three years old now, and has leaked onto the floor every once in a while since new.Keeping the filters clean usually takes care of it, but not always.Pretty sure it is basically a bad design, but am hoping someone has a solution.HELP!

Tom
Old 06-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
JT

1973 27' Overlander
El Paso , Texas
I used a small wire cable from the bottom of the drain to clean out 40 years of lint & dirt. You will need about 10 feet and can get it at Home Depot.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I sent my last post on my iPhone so let me clarify now that I am home. Before I left town on Friday I had discovered that the drain line was blocked right at the installed brass fitting. The drain hose was clear and still is. I was able to clear the block at the fitting and the AC drain worked as usual without a problem. But by the time I hooked up at the camp site on Friday afternoon after a couple of hours the water started dripping through the inside cover again. So it appears that the blockage had come back again at the brass fitting. My question was since the Carrier AC was designed to "sling" the water to dissipate it somewhat and then drain the remaining on the roof why am I getting the leaking back though the inside cover. If the brass fitting is clogged why is not reverting to is actual design and draining the water on the roof. The must be that the outside drain spots must also be clogged. I am just not sure where these are and how to go about cleaning them.

Thanks

Don
Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Now that I have had a chance to look at this at home I feel that both the drain through the brass fitting as well as the standard outside drain spots are clogged with mold or debris in the pan. There is no way that I can see to get to this area to really clean it out other than removing a 100 screws to remove the outside shroud and then remove the internal "upper Scroll Assy", this is the plastic cover over the blower wheel and the Evap coil where the plan is located. That would be a real task. I am missing anything. I have attached a copy of the Carrier parts diagram.

It may be easier to just get a new AC.

Thanks for any input
Attached Files
File Type: pdf carrier diagram.pdf (88.7 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #12

1969 29' Ambassador
Alvin , Texas
You are correct that the best fix is to take the unit apart, use a screw gun as it makes the job go faster. Do not use water pressure or air presure on the coil as you can damage it. I find using a wet/dry vacume with a modified plastic nozzle works to clean the drip pan, like wise use an open hose to run water over the coil. You can use a soft brush and TSP mixed in water to remove dirt, mold, scum, etc. Us the wet/dry to suck up the water as you apply it. Tape a plastic bag to the cielling with a hold in the bottom and a bucket to collect any overflow. Flust with pressure just the hose so that the scum build up in the hose is cleaned out.
This should take you about a half a day to resolve and you will do best with a helper.
Good luck,
Robert
Old 07-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
My old Dometic used to plug up frequently due to mold/dirt accumulation and I cleared it by feeding a piece of weed whacker cord up from the bottom of the tube until it was all the way up, then cutting it off and chucking it into my screw gun and giving it a few turns. I left the cord in place so that I could quickly clear the tube the next time it plugged up. Getting some Clorox into the drain pan really helps keep it down too.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmergy View Post
You are correct that the best fix is to take the unit apart, use a screw gun as it makes the job go faster. Do not use water pressure or air presure on the coil as you can damage it. I find using a wet/dry vacume with a modified plastic nozzle works to clean the drip pan, like wise use an open hose to run water over the coil. You can use a soft brush and TSP mixed in water to remove dirt, mold, scum, etc. Us the wet/dry to suck up the water as you apply it. Tape a plastic bag to the cielling with a hold in the bottom and a bucket to collect any overflow. Flust with pressure just the hose so that the scum build up in the hose is cleaned out.
This should take you about a half a day to resolve and you will do best with a helper.
Good luck,
Robert
When I was a "younger man" I would have probably already been up there on top and done just that. But now that I am an "older man', not yet an old man, just older and wiser I really don't want to do that. So I will probably call my local long time trusted RV service guys and let them see what they can do plus fix a few other odds and ends.

I turned on the AC earlier today just to cool it down enough to unload some things and you guessed it, its now draining normally through the brass fitting and the Airstream drain line. But you never know how long that will last.