Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Currently Camping , Pennsylvania
Help - AC Ridiculously Loud

It's a Dometic DuoTherm Penguin 15000 BTU installed on a vintage trailer.

The fan is so loud I can't hear a person on the phone with the volume turned up the whole way. Plus the compresser whomps loudly.

I've had RV techs doing warranty work coming the last 2 summers because it didn't cool (it's "fixed" now), and they said the noise was normal....

What can I do to fix this? Or at least make it not so bad?

At this point, I'll even buy a whole new AC. I full-time in my Airstream and it's unbearable to be inside for more than an hour when the AC is on.

Many thanks,
Brock
BrockLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockLives View Post
It's a Dometic DuoTherm Penguin 15000 BTU installed on a vintage trailer.

The fan is so loud I can't hear a person on the phone with the volume turned up the whole way. Plus the compresser whomps loudly.
Hmm, we have two of them, fairly fresh. There is some noise (especially when turned to the max) in ALL roof airs, I don't notice any difference in noise than the Colemans we had previously. I don't understand the "compressor whomps loudly" comment. Is this when it first comes on, or? Did the coach have a a.c on it originally or was a hole cut into the roof for it?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you can still find a Carrier out there - we've found it to be quiter than any we've had in the past.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
I will look into Carrier, thanks Gary.

Mike, the AC is installed where the original AC was. I had a local RV dealer (Not an AS dealer) install it. There is a wooden frame around the AC unit inside the roof, I assume for structural integrity. Not sure how it all works.

The whomping noise is the compressor and can be heard anytime the compressor is on (as opposed to just having the fan on).. it's a low thrumming type noise and the best way I can think to describe it is a whomp-whomp-whomp noise. It used to vibrate the center ceiling panel until I added screws to secure it around the wooden frame and added a thin strip of rubber underneath the two ceiling tracks that hide the seams where the ceiling meets the walls.

The picture below is from the time I first had the AC installed and shows the wooden frame.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Not fixed, but sorta fixed. The fan noise has been reduced about 50% by putting nylon batting along the sides of the fan housing so the air from the fan hits something sound deadening instead of the hard plastic side. Bad original design.

Still looking for any and all advice. And looking for a 15k BTU low profile Carrier AC if anyone happens to know where one might be hiding.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
This is where we bought our Carrier - they still have a few - but, no low profile listed. may be worth a phone call...

FAMILY RV CENTER ll - Home
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
the whomps could be durt-dobbers nest on the fans
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I will look into Carrier, thanks Gary.

Mike, the AC is installed where the original AC was. I had a local RV dealer (Not an AS dealer) install it. There is a wooden frame around the AC unit inside the roof, I assume for structural integrity. Not sure how it all works.

The whomping noise is the compressor and can be heard anytime the compressor is on (as opposed to just having the fan on).. it's a low thrumming type noise and the best way I can think to describe it is a whomp-whomp-whomp noise. It used to vibrate the center ceiling panel until I added screws to secure it around the wooden frame and added a thin strip of rubber underneath the two ceiling tracks that hide the seams where the ceiling meets the walls.

The picture below is from the time I first had the AC installed and shows the wooden frame.

Where is the inner ceiling panel that goes below the a/c, and runs the length of the trailer? That is an integral part of the structure, believe it or not, and the fact it was not part of the install is probably part of the problem. That panel will add rigidity and deaden sound.
If you would like, you can PM me your email address, and I can send some photos of a Penguin I am installing on a Sovereign. You will be able to see the differences, and possibly make it right.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
Quote:
Not fixed, but sorta fixed. The fan noise has been reduced about 50% by putting nylon batting along the sides of the fan housing so the air from the fan hits something sound deadening instead of the hard plastic side.
Could you post a picture showing the nylon batting, or better describe. Sounds like you have discovered a trick that many would benefit from.
WBCCI #1200
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
the whomps could be durt-dobbers nest on the fans
Sure could....found my nest last Spring, also one in the blast tube on the furnace.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
I'll get some pictures of the batting today. And nest checking..

Terry, do you mean the vinyl-clad aluminum ceiling panel, or is there another piece? I do have the vinyl panel installed, as well as the plastic AC cover, but that is all. That picture was taken before that to show the wooden frame. I will post a picture of how it looks now in case something is amiss.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Checked on the AC today. No nests!

Here are some photos.

AC SETUP

The ceiling panel cuts in this photo were cut by a "Qualified" Dometic Service Technician while trying to find the terminals that were on the trailer exterior. After I told him they were on the top of the unit, not the side...

He also broke the plastic AC cover as you can see in the photo below. I do not know if either of these things affect performance, but I suspect not. The butterflies do not affect performance at all

NYLON BATTING FAN NOISE FIX

This cuts down on the whistle-type noise. The nylon batting is just the kind you'd find in a scrubbing pad. I used one with no threads hanging out and spaced it back enough from the fan blades to keep it from getting caught (hard to tell but there's about 2.5 inch clearance). The plastic housing around the fan curves over the top and I put the batting in as far as my hand could go. It is secured with exterior grade double-sided tape. I added a little batting on the sides of the housing, but they didn't seem to cut anymore sound, so I removed them.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Nice. Bookmarked!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
The noise is NOT your imagination. I had a 2001 and the a/c was quite enough to listen to the tv and talk on the phone. I now have a 2004 and the a/c's are so noisy we have trouble listsening to the tv. I have removed the outside comer and find that the newer units have plastic baffels/tubes to handle the air flow. The older units have metal with some kind of pading to supress the noise. I have conplained to Dometic but they say the newer units are no noiser. I have also asked for interior sound measurements but no answer. I need to replace my bedroom unit but don't want to buy another "noise maker"
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
I think part of the noise generated is because of the wood framing, instead of the metal framing as Airstream recommends.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Why did Carrier drop out ?
I'm looking to try a newer roof top AC from my orginal Colemans after the last few weeks in super hot Florida.
What is the best ACs today and why?
I have vacuumed and recharged these orginals a few years ago, but think they need more than just a recharge.

Dometic
Duotherm
Coleman

Would like to here anyones opion on these.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Ben:

Glad to hear that someone else finds the AC units a bit noisy. I thought i was going deaf on vacation. Had to keep asking DW to repeat everything because couldn't hear much over the AC on high. Just one more reason for non summer camping here in Texas I guess. Can't wait for Fall.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post

Dometic
Duotherm
Coleman

Would like to here anyones opion on these.
Dometic=Duotherm. So your choice is Dometic or AirExcell (Coleman). If you want to use a drain pan and drain the condensate through the drain tube, rather than over the side, you will have to use the Dometic Penguin.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
2006 25' International CCD
Marietta , Georgia
Goal 15.

It is especially bad when our last airstream was so much quieter. I know dometic can make them quieter if they want.
benwilbanks is offline   Reply With Quote