Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #29
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
 
Safari Tim's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35
Great. I look forward to getting it installed.

Regarding the posts above, which ceiling package do you have?

Do you have the 15k btu model?

-Tim



Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Tim,
I have the Combo Heat Pump/AC with heatstrip. I like it. At campground where I have Electric it saves on Propane for those chilly but not cold days.
__________________

__________________
-Tim
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #30
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One thing I would venture to guess. I would assume that the AC/Heat Pump unit will probably have a shorter life, just on the assumption that it will be run more frequently. My neighbor's home heat pump wore out after year 10 while most of us got 15 years out of our AC only units.

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
One thing I would venture to guess. I would assume that the AC/Heat Pump unit will probably have a shorter life, just on the assumption that it will be run more frequently. My neighbor's home heat pump wore out after year 10 while most of us got 15 years out of our AC only units.

Jack
Quite possible, considering that the compressor willl be running any time the unit is on, and with the heat pump working when the unit would otherwise be off and the furnace operating..........doing double duty.

But in reality, I've seen these units need replacing after 1 week, month, year, or not at all...................sort of depends on who built it and what you get. I believe that they are assembled in Mexico now (or that's what the last one that I installed said on the box), so as the old saying goes................
"ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chance"
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #32
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
since I have the 31 I believe it is the 15K unit. I have not checked but it is adequate.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
flyfisher's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 819
I don't know whether or not the factory installed heat pump that I have in my 2004 Classic works like others or not, but my heat pump is factory set to only operate down to about 38 degrees, after which it only blows cold air. The furnace does not automatically switch on at that temperature and you have to manually turn it on at that temperature - as I recall it does go on when the outside temperature falls to about 28 degrees. We about froze to death a couple nights until we learned how it worked (didn't work).

My poorly written owner's manual aludes to this pecular operation, but it took a couple guys at the factory service center to clarify this issue for me, and even they weren't completely sure how it worked while I was there for service and they had to call Dometic to make sure.

That certainly isn't how my Trane heat pump works in my home. You'd think that the one in our trailer would be set to automatically switch from the heat pump to the furnace when the temperature falls below some cut-off point.

John
__________________
Flyfisher
flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I don't know whether or not the factory installed heat pump that I have in my 2004 Classic works like others or not, but my heat pump is factory set to only operate down to about 38 degrees, after which it only blows cold air. The furnace does not automatically switch on at that temperature and you have to manually turn it on at that temperature - as I recall it does go on when the outside temperature falls to about 28 degrees. We about froze to death a couple nights until we learned how it worked (didn't work).

My poorly written owner's manual aludes to this pecular operation, but it took a couple guys at the factory service center to clarify this issue for me, and even they weren't completely sure how it worked while I was there for service and they had to call Dometic to make sure.

That certainly isn't how my Trane heat pump works in my home. You'd think that the one in our trailer would be set to automatically switch from the heat pump to the furnace when the temperature falls below some cut-off point.

John
Wow - that's news! Like John, I was under the impression that the furnace would kick in when the temperature (outside or inside) dropped below what the heat pump could handle (---i.e. - when the heat pump shut down.) My system was totally replaced in 2005 - including the "latest bells & whistles" thermostat. Has anyone else had "hands-on" experience with these units under the "dropping temps" scenario we're talking about? I can't believe the factory gurus didn't have the answers - and it makes me wonder if they really got it straight from Dometic! Like John pointed out, the way this has been explained means that, we either get up at 2 a.m. and switch to the furnace - or we freeze our butts off until it drops to 28 deg outside and the furnace kicks in! Further, if the temperature drops down to just below freezing and hangs there - and we don't get out of bed - the tanks freeze, the pipes break, and we're unhappy campers!
__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
flyfisher's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Wow - that's news! Like John, I was under the impression that the furnace would kick in when the temperature (outside or inside) dropped below what the heat pump could handle (---i.e. - when the heat pump shut down.) My system was totally replaced in 2005 - including the "latest bells & whistles" thermostat. Has anyone else had "hands-on" experience with these units under the "dropping temps" scenario we're talking about? I can't believe the factory gurus didn't have the answers - and it makes me wonder if they really got it straight from Dometic! Like John pointed out, the way this has been explained means that, we either get up at 2 a.m. and switch to the furnace - or we freeze our butts off until it drops to 28 deg outside and the furnace kicks in! Further, if the temperature drops down to just below freezing and hangs there - and we don't get out of bed - the tanks freeze, the pipes break, and we're unhappy campers!
I talked to several guys at the plant, and although they each understood the concept that I described, none knew the exact ambient temperature at which the heat pump went off and the furnace went on. The temperatures I stated above may be off by a degree or two, I don't remember them exactly either, but those are pretty close.

Now whenever we go to bed with the outside temperature in the low 40's we just turn off the heat pump (if it is on) and turn on the furnace. However, we also got a ceramic space heater this past year so we're using our heat pump less now than we did before anyway (ours is the 15k btu unit).

John
__________________
Flyfisher
flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Cracker's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,099
In truth, the temperature change that would require the performance we're talking about from the thermostat - an overnight change from say 50 degrees to below 28 degrees - is not that common during most of our camping seasons. By the time we turn in at night I think most of us already know that the heat pump will, or won't, be up to the task. However, it would still be a neat arrangement if the furnace would kick in at the exact time the heat pump bows out - and vice versa. In my simple way of thinking, this doesn't seem like it would be an unusually difficult programming task for the thermostat??? The only thing that would be required is an optional setting that would make the decision on which unit runs dependent on the A/C's outside temperature sensor. As long as the outside temperature was in the operating range of the A/C the heat pump would function - and when it dropped below that range the furnace would kick in. The desired interior temperature setting would be common to either unit and the changeover would, indeed, be seamless in either direction. Does that make sense - or did I miss something???
__________________
Cracker

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,822
Images: 3
I have no problem with changeover

I have owned two Classics with the heat pump and, in both trailers, the changeover is seamless.

I always wake up once when the furnace first kicks in. In every case, the trailer interior was still comfortable which indicates to me that the changeover was made while the heat pump was still capable of maintaining interior temperature.

In each case, it went seamlessly back to heat pump when the temperature rose in the morning. I have never placed the thermostat in furnace mode except to initially warm a cold-soaked trailer.
__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Has anyone else had "hands-on" experience with these units under the "dropping temps" scenario we're talking about? I can't believe the factory gurus didn't have the answers - and it makes me wonder if they really got it straight from Dometic!
Our unit also changes over automatically when the temperature gets too low. If the furnace doesn't light for any reason, the heat pump will pump cold air. This is a thermostat function, not the heat pump.

Last fall we had the heat pump/air conditioner in our 34 Front Kitchen replaced. The original one was dripping water into the living room when operating as a heat pump. As it turned out, the main frame (pan?) was broken. It was only a few hundred dollars more to get an entirely new unit.

Our first unit changed to furnace automatically, but the new unit didn't. I discovered this while sleeping in the trailer in 20* temperatures at Jackson Center waiting to see the service department the following morning. Thank goodness I brought the dog along. We both shivered through the night, but made it without permanent damage.

The Airstream service people didn't know too much about the heat pump. They referred me back to the Dometic dealer who installed it.

It eventually turned out to be a set-up issue with the new Comfort Control thermostat. The service person was supposed to punch in a secret code to have the thermostat search for installed equipment (air conditioner, heat pump, furnace) and set itself correctly. My service guy didn't do that and the thermostat didn't know that the trailer had a furnace, so it never started the furnace. To make matters worse, I couldn't turn the heat pump off and select furnace at the thermostat because the thermostat didn't recognize the furnace.

After re-programming the thermostat, the new heat pump also changes to the furnace when the temperature gets low enough.

To make a long story short (too late)... Be sure that your thermostat is set up correctly by whoever does the installation. This step is apparently not covered well in the installation instructions that came with the new unit.

Good luck,
Loren
__________________
2012 New Horizons Travel Trailer (formerly an Airstream owner)
2008 Dodge 2500 diesel with Equal-i-zer hitch.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #39
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
 
Safari Tim's Avatar
 
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,921
Images: 35
You guys are on top of things.

As I am preparing to install this unit myself I've been reading the manual a few times. (slow learner) .

To have the system auto switch over to furnace, you have to be wired for it first of all. So the furnace thermostat wires have to be run up into the air conditioner, not the thermostat.

There is also a dip swtich programming in the air conditioner to tell it if there is a furnace connected. This switch must be set correctly.

And lastly, the Comfort Control Center (thermostat) has to be reset after the above settings are made, to learn what is present.

So, if you have this setup and its not switching over these are some things you can check.
__________________
-Tim
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 PM   #40
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
since I have the 31 I believe it is the 15K unit. I have not checked but it is adequate.
Well the 15K unit is not standard equipment for a 31. It's always an upgrade, but it's not hard to tell since the 15K unit should have some exterior graphics on the shroud that designate the 15K unit.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #41
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Has anyone else had "hands-on" experience with these units under the "dropping temps" scenario we're talking about?
I can confirm a similar experience with mine. While the heat pump was not blowing cold air, what was coming out wasn't warm enough to hold temperature inside the trailer. At that point it was in the mid 30's outside and I wasn't willing to wait to see when the furnace would cut over. So for all intents I find that cutover feature pretty useless.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:05 PM   #42
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
It eventually turned out to be a set-up issue with the new Comfort Control thermostat. The service person was supposed to punch in a secret code to have the thermostat search for installed equipment (air conditioner, heat pump, furnace) and set itself correctly.Good luck,
Loren
Well I'll have to check this out next time I'm up at the dealer's....unless someone has access to the "secret code".

Jack
__________________

__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What type of converter is standard in 85 limited? jlsmits Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 04-09-2011 05:18 PM
New Carrier A/C Heatpump Silverhobby Airstream "In the News" 1 01-27-2008 07:00 AM
Is there a standard size...for the waste outlet? skip Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 7 04-18-2004 10:05 AM
Twin bed standard sheet? TomW General Interior Topics 5 03-09-2004 03:00 PM
Standard vs. option? silverback 1997 - 2004 Bambi 7 07-19-2003 03:00 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.