Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Heating-using heat pump only

How comfortable can we expect the indoor temp to be if I only use the heat pump? I’m thinking I can get it “so many” degrees warmer than the outside temp (to a certain point).

We live in IL and our 27 GT FBT comes in March. We want to learn all we can while it’s on our property. We will have a 30amp hookup.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Congratulations on the new trailer. I'm afraid the heat pump won't give you much heat or any at all if the outside temp. is below 40-45 degrees.

Unlike a home heat pump there is no backup heat strip (electric resistance heating) to produce heat when it's to cold outside for the heat pump to work.

You can set the thermostat to the automatic mode and then the temperature you would like it to be. The heat pump will run if it's warm enough outside for it to produce any heat, if not it will automatically switch to the propane furnace which of course needs propane and 12 volts from your batteries to run. The furnace can keep you toasty warm.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #3
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer. I'm afraid the heat pump won't give you much heat or any at all if the outside temp. is below 40-45 degrees.

Unlike a home heat pump there is no backup heat strip (electric resistance heating) to produce heat when it's to cold outside for the heat pump to work.

You can set the thermostat to the automatic mode and then the temperature you would like it to be. The heat pump will run if it's warm enough outside for it to produce any heat, if not it will automatically switch to the propane furnace which of course needs propane and 12 volts from your batteries to run. The furnace can keep you toasty warm.

Dave S

Since we have a 30 amp hookup, it sounds like if I just want the temp comfortable enough to play around and familiarize myself with my winterized AS I should just bring in a space heater.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Heat pump experience vs. furnace

Patriciahawk, I can echo Link2dks’ comments.

We also live in Illinois and ventured to Door County, WI in October the last weekend Egg Harbor Campground was open with a FC 23FB. We spent 3 nights there, two using the heat pump only and it worked great. Heat comes out the overhead vents vs. the floor for the furnace. I did rotate the vents over the bed so it was pointed towards the foot end.

The third night I forced the furnace to “on” because we had never run it before. It also works great; nice and toasty inside. I’d say it was in the low 40’s at night and we still were getting heat from the heat pump (thermostat set to auto).

By the way, the only trouble we ran into was the water heater quit working on propane. There's two switches for the water heater, one for electric and one for propane. You can turn them both on to speed up heating the 6 gallon tank which I did.

The next day I noticed the red warning light was on (sits between the two switches). This means the propane failed to ignite and the system shuts off the gas. We still had electric so plenty of hot water. Called the dealer who said “probably the control module”. We dropped off the trailer on the way home and they replaced it.

Turns out this is a common problem with the original module and the replacement is better. Hopefully our new Globtrotters will come with the larger, new version! Ours is due the end of March!

Happy camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAC434CC-75E2-475F-9ABD-65A8EDA0D3CD.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	462.3 KB
ID:	332112  
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Larkspur , Colorado
Furnace?

Why not just run the furnace? The propane tanks should come filled from the dealer. You’ll be totally toasty. D.
Dmmdtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #6
Owners of Willie

2019 27' Globetrotter
Peoria , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmmdtm View Post
Why not just run the furnace? The propane tanks should come filled from the dealer. You’ll be totally toasty. D.

We can. I just wanted to explore options.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We have used the heat pumps in 35 to 40 degree weather, and it was more than capable of warming the camper up to 70. The air it produces is warm.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
The heat pump does not work ell below a certain temp.

Propane is quick and quiet but you are paying extra if you are at an electric site.

When we expect colder temps we always bring a small electric heater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D87C7B3F-413A-4FE9-80E3-1F96C2503909.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	332161

This one has several settings, a safety tip-over switch and cool to the touch sides.

Keeps our 25ft FC toasty!
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
Sol
ItchyFeet

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fuquay Varina , Wake County
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
We have used the heat pumps in 35 to 40 degree weather, and it was more than capable of warming the camper up to 70. The air it produces is warm.
brick

X2
When outside temperature is above 35, heat pump worked fine.
Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Heat pump with heat strip

Please, remember your furnace is plumb to heat the tanks.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
SHOULD is the operant term. The factory ships with tanks full of air rather than propane. The techs at the dealership should fill with propane during the PDI, but it doesn't always happen. Ask me how I know. Just be sure you drive your new baby off with full tanks.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Wichita Falls , TX
heat pump

Will the furnace not run on electric rather than propane when you are hooked up to 30 amp?
ga adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
As your Airstream ages, the control modules on all gas appliances will need to be replaced. So far I have replaced modules on my frig, water heater, and furnace. Appears the furnace might need to be replaced again as it quit right when the temps dropped. Lack of use is also a contributing factor. Use my frig and water heater all the time so no problems so far.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
High failure rate for new part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1997 View Post
As your Airstream ages, the control modules on all gas appliances will need to be replaced. So far I have replaced modules on my frig, water heater, and furnace. Appears the furnace might need to be replaced again as it quit right when the temps dropped. Lack of use is also a contributing factor. Use my frig and water heater all the time so no problems so far.
Mike1997, granted you would expect control boards and other components to fail over time but the Forum has several threads of this particular board failing prematurely. Ours failed on the 2nd trip out. Other posts have first-time use failures. Definitely not normal...
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga adkins View Post
Will the furnace not run on electric rather than propane when you are hooked up to 30 amp?
Furnace is burning propane only to get heat, with 12 volt DC for internal control board and fan. There is an aftermarket add-on unit out there that can add 120/240 electric heat coils to a standard propane furnace, but otherwise, no...with no propane supply and furnace ignition working correctly, no heat whatsoever.

I've experimentally verified this situation, and was very happy that our replacement roof air had a auxiliary 120 volt heat strip added to it when my son bought it--otherwise we would have been real uncomfortable when we ran outta propane one cold night in Northern Alabama in the fall...DW was not happy, to put it mildly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote