Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #61
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think the Vornado is about the best electric heater for an RV. They heat a space evenly, are whisper-quiet, cool to the touch (so no burn risk). And they are on sale with free shipping - just got an email from them today. I've had mine for about a year and use it in the house when we're not camping.

Pat

Vornado Heater - Vornado Automatic Vortex Heat Whole Room Heater - AVH2
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
We have a 24 Argosy and on our way to the canopener we stopped in Miss. It was 26*F outside and we ran a five disc Pelonis and a little 360* Honeywell ceramic, no furnace at all. The thermastat and thermometer read 80 degrees insideand the thermometer lower down read 76 at 7 am the next morning, we were toasty warm. The next night, our first night at Topsail it was 27 degrees and we had the same results. The heaters were not on full blast either night. The Pelonis without a doubt did most of the work, when the temp reached above 30 we turned the honeywell on low and let the Pelonis do the work. The Pelonis is probably the best small ceramic heater you can get. We got ours for about 50 bucks on sale after the winter season, I think normal price was about 90 dollars. We also opened cabinet doors and left a drip going in the faucets and experienced no pipe freezing.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up What He Said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
The Pelonis without a doubt did most of the work, when the temp reached above 30 we turned the honeywell on low and let the Pelonis do the work. The Pelonis is probably the best small ceramic heater you can get.
We second that emotion!!

Used a 1500w Pelonis in the 63 Safari, a dyn-o-mite little heater, fairly quiet too.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
We have a 24 Argosy and on our way to the canopener we stopped in Miss. It was 26*F outside and we ran a five disc Pelonis and a little 360* Honeywell ceramic, no furnace at all. The thermastat and thermometer read 80 degrees insideand the thermometer lower down read 76 at 7 am the next morning, we were toasty warm. The next night, our first night at Topsail it was 27 degrees and we had the same results. The heaters were not on full blast either night. The Pelonis without a doubt did most of the work, when the temp reached above 30 we turned the honeywell on low and let the Pelonis do the work. The Pelonis is probably the best small ceramic heater you can get. We got ours for about 50 bucks on sale after the winter season, I think normal price was about 90 dollars. We also opened cabinet doors and left a drip going in the faucets and experienced no pipe freezing.
I should mention we also had 5 persons worth of body heat as well.

Heinlein
Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
falls church , Virginia
Delonghi oil heaters

Hello

IMHO, the Delonghi oil filled heaters are the way to go. They don't eat up too many amps, are fire safe, and use no oxygen. I've got two of them, but have only ever used one in our excella. If it realy gets cold, I'll fire up the catalytic as well as one of these babies. This keeps me comfortably warm even when outdoor temps are down into the 20's-30's. And, I just noticed that Home Depot,( at least my local Depot) has the 1500 watt models on sale for less than $20. What a good bargain! Hope this helps Mark
tiki trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we just got home from camping at San Clemente State Beach. We used our new oil filled heater for the first time this weekend. It worked great. We have used oil filled heaters in our home to heat one room and we like the way they work. I wanted something a bit smaller for my trailer and bought the Delonghe TRN1015T model. Instead of being squareish, it is more of an egg shape. It has two switches that give you three wattage levels of control. First switch, is low and 600 watts. Second switch, is medium and 900 watts. And with both switches turned on together it is 1500 watts. We found that by turning on only the second switch, 900 watts and turning the thermostat to number 4 kept our trailer at about 70 degrees all night long. The thermostat knob goes from zero to 6. [0-1-2-3-4-5-6] Plusses: small, [23" X 17.5" X 7"] no fan noise, [no fan] no orange coil glow, [no coils] No fuel, [propane] And no oxygen depletion. I set my furnace thermostat to 68 degrees just in case the oil filled heater couldn't keep up and my furnace never came on for the four days we camped. I would recommend this heater.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
move the air and "blue flame heaters"

Thanks ROBERT CROSS for the link to the fan site. Believe it or not I had the same idea and almost pulled over the other day to dig through some trash in front of a neighbors house to see if the computer tower he was throwing away still had the cooling fan.

Speaking of heaters, has anyone used a "blue flame" propane heater in their trailer? Would it work where the catalytic used to be mounted just inside the door? We have a fold down shelf extender ther and I am worried the rising heat would cause problems.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:37 AM   #68
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, we just got home from camping at San Clemente State Beach. We used our new oil filled heater for the first time this weekend. It worked great. We have used oil filled heaters in our home to heat one room and we like the way they work. I wanted something a bit smaller for my trailer and bought the Delonghe TRN1015T model. Instead of being squareish, it is more of an egg shape. It has two switches that give you three wattage levels of control. First switch, is low and 600 watts. Second switch, is medium and 900 watts. And with both switches turned on together it is 1500 watts. We found that by turning on only the second switch, 900 watts and turning the thermostat to number 4 kept our trailer at about 70 degrees all night long. The thermostat knob goes from zero to 6. [0-1-2-3-4-5-6] Plusses: small, [23" X 17.5" X 7"] no fan noise, [no fan] no orange coil glow, [no coils] No fuel, [propane] And no oxygen depletion. I set my furnace thermostat to 68 degrees just in case the oil filled heater couldn't keep up and my furnace never came on for the four days we camped. I would recommend this heater.
What was the temp. outside? We use the oil filled radiator heators in our place to good effect but I'll tell you the Pelonis works better.

Heinlein
Old 02-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Low O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
Thanks . . . I did some Google searches using "oxygen meter", "oxygen monitor" and "oxygen sensor" but didn't find what I was looking for . . .

I already have a carbon monoxide and lp alarm, but my catalytic heater sucks the oxygen out of the air and I want an alarm for that; I know I can open a vent, but it would be nice to have an alarm to know how much to open. If the oxygen level goes down below safe levels during the night as it gets colder (and the heater runs more often) it would be sane to have an alarm that can wake me before it's too late.
I have never heard of "low oxygen" as a problem. As I understand it as O2 combusts the byproduct is CO carbon monoxide. So I would think a more commonly available CO detector would do the job. I am also guessing a O2 level monitor would be more appropriate to a sealed envoronment (such as an Airstream in space ala Spaceballs) where the byproduct of respiration is CO2, carbon dioxide. I wonder if the "avoid asphyxiation" line mentioned in the orevious post is just a marketing ploy.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #70
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Catalytic heaters are totally different from other heaters. Propane is oxidized without a flame. When you first fire one up, there is a flame but only to heat the catalyst to the proper heat for the chemical reaction to occur. When the proper heat has been reached the flame is no longer required. The by product is water vapor and CO2. Tests have shown a small but safe level of CO is produced, but that is not the major concern. Reduction in the amount of oxygen is the issue. Newer units are equipped with an O2 sensor which will shut them down when the O2 level drops.

I would still recommend that you use a CO detector and also have a vent or window cracked to supply O2. We do not camp in very cold areas, so we do not run the heater when we go to bed. If it is cold we throw on an additional blanket.

Here is a good link that explains the operation of these units: http://www.catalyticheaters.us/

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
What was the temp. outside? We use the oil filled radiator heators in our place to good effect but I'll tell you the Pelonis works better.
Hi, I don't really know what the temperature was outside; I didn't have any way to tell, but I'm sure it was in the high 30's to the low 40's and with wind and rain. I'm sure there are heaters that put out more heat than the oil filled models, but the main reasons for the oil filled are: No gas, no oxygen depletion, no windows or vents need to be open, no fan noise, and no orange glowing. The last two, a biggie for the wife, can't sleep with fan noise and or a glowing in the dark. [for boon docking, we just have to use the furnace. And if we ever get into freezeing weather]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I don't really know what the temperature was outside; I didn't have any way to tell, but I'm sure it was in the high 30's to the low 40's and with wind and rain. I'm sure there are heaters that put out more heat than the oil filled models, but the main reasons for the oil filled are: No gas, no oxygen depletion, no windows or vents need to be open, no fan noise, and no orange glowing. The last two, a biggie for the wife, can't sleep with fan noise and or a glowing in the dark. [for boon docking, we just have to use the furnace. And if we ever get into freezeing weather]
I understand, but the Pelonis doesn't have an orange glow and the fan is very quite compared to other heaters with fans. It is a true ceramic heater, a five disc ceramic. I will say our oil filled work well but they are not Delonghi, which could be better than ours. We used to have an 85 year old house with an upstairs bedroom that had 14 windows in it and we used the Pelonis and nothing else to keep that room bearable (never real warm but not cold either) and the room was 13' by 22'.

Heinlein
Old 11-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #73
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
A small update--
I now put the foil bubble stuff over the windows from inside, just kinda support it with the window opening levers and the window locks on the bottom. This works well and hardly any condensation in the window frame. And I do not have to open the windows in the morning to let the warm sunshine in.
Also I now use 2 smaller oil filled Delonghi heaters when plugged in. These spread out the heat better in the 32 footer and they have built in timers.
The Dickinson is just great- looks like I will keep it with my window exhaust system since I've redone the front of the trailer with a 90 degree sofa set up.
I've NOT done the hot water radiant system- figuring that if it got that cold I would use the wheels on the trailer!! like move to a warmer place.
And the solar window box is the cats meow- if you are stationary.
wow- this thread is almost 3 years old.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #74
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I know this thread is older, but I wanted to say thanks for posting it. Great info and review on heaters.

My wife and I are Full Timing up in Portland, OR and it has been getting pretty cold the last few months. Down to 17 at the coldest, but around 38 average.

We have been heating our 31' Sovereign with a small pot belly wood stove which works great during the day...but at night is no good since I do not want to get up every hour to add wood. We do have a small ceramic heater from camping world, but I am afraid to leave it on overnight, plus it is a little noisy. I am going to stop by home depot today and pick up one of the oil radiator heaters since that sounds like my best bet without wanting to add a propane heater.

The wood stove will keep the trailer anywhere between 70 and 85, depending on how much wood I add, while it is around 30 outside. If I can usually tell instantly when the fire starts to burn down by the chill so I throw a few more pieces of wood on the fire. Usually I wake up and it is not much more than 5-10 degrees warmer inside than outside...which is not great especially when it gets below 40. One morning I woke up and it was 27 inside, not fun. The wood stove heats it up almost instantly inside though, once I start a fire it will be 70 inside within an hour...40 temp rise in an hour seems pretty good to me. Now if I could just keep it consistent everything would be perfect.

I am hoping the radiator type heater will at least keep it above 55 at night, that would make it a lot more comfortable to wake up in the morning.
dailyphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Dailyphoto, if you dont mind,how do you have you wood stove vented and what size is it. can you post some pic's.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #76
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
rock60 not sure what he has but take a look here:

Traditional Cast Iron Marine Stoves by Navigator Stove Works,Inc.

The main problem with these is the amount of space that has to be set aside including clearances.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

The main problem with these is the amount of space that has to be set aside including clearances.
thanks jammer
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #78
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
Dailyphoto, if you dont mind,how do you have you wood stove vented and what size is it. can you post some pic's.
Yes, I have two vents. One behind the stove and one underneath with gives me a little airflow whenever the stove is on. The stove is only about 26" tall. You can slightly see the vent under the back of the stove. I just used simple shower drains as the vent covers.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #79
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

Yeah I wanted one of those stoves really bad...but I also did not want to spend over $1000 for one. I got my stove for $20 off craiglist and refinished it myself.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Portland , Oregon
I know this is an old thread, but boy it's a good one, and I have a follow up question, so I hope you're listening! I have a '77 Silver Streak with a functioning but sketchy original furnace, and rather than replacing it with a Suburban (or another brand that will work with my existing vents), I am really wanting to go the Dickinson/Newport route. Not much difference in terms of price, a captivating design, and clearly a really well made product.

My concern about it being sufficient comes from the manner in which I'll be using my coach: I work an hour's drive away from my house, so on weekdays I'll live in my SS, which will have full hookups in a park near my work, and I'll spend the weekends up at my house. Silverton and Portland (my respective locations) don't get too dang cold, but there are stretches where the nights stay in the 20s-30s. Below the 20s is rare. So: will the Dickinson/Newport, and probably a little Pelonis for good measure, be enough to keep the pipes from freezing up? Especially on the weekends, if I leave my cabinets open, pipes a dripping, can I leave the D/N running on low? Is that safe? Would I be better off supplementing w/ an electric oil radiator to run over the weekends? Is there another supplementary heating option that I can safely run during the weekends just for the sake of my pipes? Last question: those pipes are in good shape, but they're copper, so how much of a difference would redoing them in PEX help to offset this potential problem?

Or should I just replace the vented system and keep the thermostat at a reasonable temperature when I'm gone? Not the answer I want to hear but one I'm prepared to.

Thank you kindly,
CarrieSue
CarrieSue is offline   Reply With Quote