Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2007, 09:28 AM   #41
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Bob; I have the propane model that uses twin wall inlet exhaust flue pipe. It allows me to not use up any inside air, if you know what I mean. I suggest you go to dickinsonmarime.com and check out their manuals section.My unit is bolted to the wall with 4 AN3-6 bolts.I fabed up a new thru the window fixture that allows the flue to exit the trailer.Maybe I'll post some pics in the reviews section later today.As my remodel progresses the heater will be relocated elsewhere, theh a hole will be punched in the roof!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Thanks Tim. I was figuring on having to do a roof penetration for the flue with my AS, so your experience and photos will be useful to me and others, when you do it.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Saugerties , New York
Thanks

Thanks for doing a serious job of testing all of the heaters. They each have advantages and disadvantages. It will be great to see your results. Rich
classic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some other options...

Some other things to think about...

Dikinson also makes hot water forced air heating units that work from a source of hot water. Check them out on the following website (also shows the Dickinson products):

Boat Heaters & Fireplaces - Now On Sale at Greatly Reduced Prices

Here is an alternate source for on domand propane fired hot water heaters that look interesting. One model is vent free and the other has a power vent. They also offer some radiant heating products (look under the Products menu tab at AquaFlex).

Gas Water Heater

Here are some sites with information about DC powered hot water pumps. The solar heating industry is a good source for low voltage and hot water capacity.

Hot Water Circulating Pumps, March, Hartell and Ivan EL SID
Hartell > Products > Circulating Pumps > DC Circulating Pumps
Hartell brushless DC pump MD-10-HEH Brass
Solar Water Pumps -

I have been intending to use hot water tubing installed in my floor or possibly overhead. My trailer is gutted so I can do pretty much whatever I want with the floor. I don't mind losing about 3/4" of height by making the floor a bit thicker. I am thinking about using one of the Excel on-demand water heaters above and a 12volt DC hotwater pump like the Hartell unit above. There is a lot of information about system types on the following website:

Radiant Heat From Radiant Floor Company

Check out the information about the open system type of installation on the following page. That is the general type of arrangement that I would be most likely to use.

Radiant Heat From Radiant Floor Company - Sytem Types - Open System

I would anticipate building a single loop system with about 200 feet of 1/2" diameter PEX tubing.

Malcolm
Old 12-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
push on!

Malcolm:

Thanks for posting all this interesting stuff. The EXCEL non-vented heater is about as slick as anything I’ve ever read about. The AquaFlex is similarly impressive.

I encourage you to go ahead with what you’ve planned. Nothing will be as comfortable as a radiant-heated trailer floor.

One question: if the floor heating is closed loop, how does the Excel know when to come off and on?

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I think the idea is that the water heater will come on based on the temperature of the output side of the water. The pump will draw water through the water heater when the thermostat says that it is too cold in the AS. The heater should notice that the outgoing temp is too low and come on. At least that is what I think will happen.

Malcolm
Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Reading this thread with interest, as I use a Wave 8. Does anyone monitor the amount of oxygen when using a catalytic heater? I would really like to find an oxygen alarm, especially if it works on 12 volts.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I don't know about oxygen sensors but there are such things as carbon monoxide sensors. Take a look at this page in the Campers World catalog as well as the next two pages for starters.

GO-RV.com - RV On-line Catalog

Malcolm
Old 01-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Google "Low oxygen alarm"

I found this one there.

Oxygen Alarm Monitor, Reduce Asphyxiation

Here are the search results.
low oxygen alarm - Google Search
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Google "Low oxygen alarm"

I found this one there.

Oxygen Alarm Monitor, Reduce Asphyxiation

Here are the search results.
low oxygen alarm - Google Search
Thanks . . . I did some Google searches using "oxygen meter", "oxygen monitor" and "oxygen sensor" but didn't find what I was looking for . . .

I already have a carbon monoxide and lp alarm, but my catalytic heater sucks the oxygen out of the air and I want an alarm for that; I know I can open a vent, but it would be nice to have an alarm to know how much to open. If the oxygen level goes down below safe levels during the night as it gets colder (and the heater runs more often) it would be sane to have an alarm that can wake me before it's too late.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #51
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
If the oxygen level goes down below safe levels during the night as it gets colder (and the heater runs more often) it would be sane to have an alarm that can wake me before it's too late.
Newer cat's can be had with O2 sensors built in, which will shut down the unit if the level gets too low. I would think that any unit that can make itself "run more often" in the night, in response to colder temps, (meaning, it is thermostatically controlled), would also have an O2 sensor, as well. Both of those features require electricity...seems to me, the only reason to NOT have them (other than "added cost"), is if you want a heater that uses "0" electricity. So if you're going to sacrifice a little battery power for one of those features, you might as well get both, kwim?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Question Has anyone tried one of these heaters?

Sidegunner and all other posters on this topic, THANX for the great info.

I am wondering if anyone has tried one of these heaters , when 110 volts available?

EdenPURE 1000 XL Quartz Infrared Portable Heater
Reg. Price:$472.00Sale Price:$397.00 Save:$75.00
EDENPURE 1000 XL IN STOCK ORDER TODAY!!
Specifications:
  • Height: 17 1/4" Width: 12 3/4" Depth 18 1/2"
  • Uses Conventional 110 Volt 3 Prong Grounded Outlet
  • 70 Inch Long Electrical Chord, 14 Gauge
  • Rated at 5000 BTU
  • Amps: 12.6
  • Watts: 1500
  • 6 Commercial Infrared Quartz Tubes
  • 3 Copper Heat Exchangers
  • Listed by United Laboratories (UL) No. E307136
  • View Manual Here
  • NOT AVAILABLE to Canadian Residents
here is there web site: EdenPURE Quartz Infrared Portable Heater - Shop & Compare Heaters

Check the price as advertized in Good Sam magazine "Highways" .

A friend of mine has one in his home and it heats the dinning room & front room very nicely, about 750 sq ft. He keeps it turned to about a medium heat range w/ temps in the 70* to 72* range. He also has the small model in his kitchen and has the bedroom door open so it heats both. Kitchen to about 70* and bedroom to 68*.

my 34' AS figures out to be under 250 sq ft. so one of these sure would be able to handle the space.

BUT NOT FOR BOONDOCKING . Must have 110 volt power....

Keep shining,
Claude
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Denham Springs , Louisiana
Circulation?

Very interesting topic. We live in a mild climate, rarely below 28 degrees. Our furnace does not work at present and would require pulling the stove, sink, and counter to remove, so I am trying to hold off. The previous owner installed a series of 110 light sockets with 100 watt bulbs to help keep pipes from freezing, which has worked well so far. We have camped a few time in cold weather and have used portable electric heaters , which work well except for one problem-- all the heat is at the ceiling while the floor area is cold. Does anyone use fans to stir the air ?
Greg
Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Does the Delonghi 1500 watt oil filled heater get hot to the point of being a fire danger? I got one for Christmas and was thinking of putting it out in my Airstream to help keep the interior dry, since we get such damp winters here on the West coast.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
I would think that any unit that can make itself "run more often" in the night, in response to colder temps, (meaning, it is thermostatically controlled), would also have an O2 sensor, as well. Both of those features require electricity...seems to me, the only reason to NOT have them (other than "added cost"), is if you want a heater that uses "0" electricity. So if you're going to sacrifice a little battery power for one of those features, you might as well get both, kwim?
I hear you. Though my Wave 8 is new, it doesn't have an O2 sensor, and is my only source of boondocking heat (I use a thermostatically controlled ceramic heater when hooked up to 120VAC).

At this point, I would think an O2 alarm is cheaper than replacing a new Wave 8.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Does the Delonghi 1500 watt oil filled heater get hot to the point of being a fire danger?
Does it have a UL rating?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Move The Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by gparker
Very interesting topic. We live in a mild climate, rarely below 28 degrees. Our furnace does not work at present and would require pulling the stove, sink, and counter to remove, so I am trying to hold off. The previous owner installed a series of 110 light sockets with 100 watt bulbs to help keep pipes from freezing, which has worked well so far. We have camped a few time in cold weather and have used portable electric heaters , which work well except for one problem-- all the heat is at the ceiling while the floor area is cold. Does anyone use fans to stir the air ?
Greg

Blower, Dc Fan, Ac Fan, 12v Dc Fan, 115v Ac Fan
Used several of these in the "63" Safari, pretty quiet, don't use much

power....
Old 01-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Does the Delonghi 1500 watt oil filled heater get hot to the point of being a fire danger? I got one for Christmas and was thinking of putting it out in my Airstream to help keep the interior dry, since we get such damp winters here on the West coast.
We have some of these units for extra heat upstairs in the winter. They a bit too hot to touch but would not be a fire hazard. I have used one of them on occasion when I have been working out in my AS with good results. My AS is still largely empty though with nothing in particular to catch on fire. I would not hesitate to run the unit when I am not out there.

Malcolm
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Does it have a UL rating?
It's Intertek listed and built to CSA standards.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
We have some of these units for extra heat upstairs in the winter. They a bit too hot to touch but would not be a fire hazard. I have used one of them on occasion when I have been working out in my AS with good results. My AS is still largely empty though with nothing in particular to catch on fire. I would not hesitate to run the unit when I am not out there.

Malcolm
Thanks Malcom for the first hand experience.