Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Heater use with AC cover installed

I have a Coleman Mach AC unit with electric heater.

Can I safely run the heater with the accessory ADCO vinyl storage cover installed on the roof unit?

The heater is basically a temp probe and electric water heater type element and does not appear to intake or exhaust to the roof .
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Should work

It should be no problem since the outside unit is not involved; only the inside fan and the heat strip are active. Just make sure you don't switch to AC.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Heat Strip - Duh, what is it?

Pahaska et al -

Sorry for the seemingly silly question, but what it a heat strip? And how would I know that I have one? Photo anyone?

Probably another Duh question but you know what "they" say - any question not asked is a Duh question.....

Um....

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Many AC units are equipped with a HEAT STRIP. It is essentially a small resistance heater - think hair dryer. It is not NEARLY powerful enough to heat your trailer but it will take the chill off. I cannot be run on 12-volt - it will only work if you are 'plugged in'.

Look at the control knobs on your AC - you are looking for a HEAT setting. Turn it to this position when you are 'plugged in' and see if luke-warm air comes out of the vents on the AC unit.

Hope that helps!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Pahaska et al -

Sorry for the seemingly silly question, but what it a heat strip? And how would I know that I have one? Photo anyone?

Probably another Duh question but you know what "they" say - any question not asked is a Duh question.....

Um....

Axel
The heat strip is either on or off. My '01 Safari had one and while it helped, it was always a pain since the thermostat in the A/C unit would not control it. After the trailer got warm I had to manually turn it off and if it cooled down I had to turn it back on. Enough of a pain that I normally turned the furnace on if it was cool enoungh out to cause the need to have occasional heat.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Foresthill , California
Thanks for the help. I thought I could run it with outside unit covered, just making sure.

It's as SZY8JX described, a small heat element with fan putting out luke warm air. Enough to cut the chill but for real heating the furnace is it. I use it for 3rd heat source and while working on AS when plugged into shore power. The heat strip does keep the trailer at 50F when it’s 30F outside.

Temp today is balmy 25F and snowing in Eagle River, Alaska, almost furnace cold.
walter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I agree that the heat strip cannot produce a large temperature change, but for fall and winter use, it makes the difference between being comfy and decidedly cool.

With my Excella, I use the heat strip in the old Armstrong as the primary heat and keep the furnace set for 10 degrees below the Armstrong's set point. The heat DOES cycle on off with the rear thermostat. Today I left it running for a fan with the windows and door open, and it first cycled to heat at about 7pm tonight. Right now, it's 51 outside and 78 degrees in the middle of the trailer. The (new) rear thermostat for the furnace is reading 77 degrees in the bedroom.

It's supposed to be 42 tonight. I expect it to be about 72 when I wake up, and the furnace will not have run at all.

One thing that I notice that the Armstrong does that my Carrier Air V does not is slow the fan down to the lowest setting when the heat strip cycles on. This makes the air coming out warm to touch. It is not lukewarm!

The juice is included in the lot rent where I live, so I have to say that I love my heat strip.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote