Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Heater & A/C

Hi all-
I have a couple of minor problems with our new-to-us 2004 Safari 28, generally in near-new condition. The heater lights only very reluctantly after many time out failures, and then the flame sounds like it is sputtering and popping rather than a steady healthy roar. Propane bottles are full and all other gas appliances work fine which I presume rules out air in the lines or pressure issues. The vent fan runs fine and no insect/rodent detritus can be seen in the exhaust vent, nor is there any untoward stench from the heat exchanger when it does light. How do I check on a valve or burner orifice problem, or is this now an issue for the repair shop? The other problem is the fan motor on the A/C, the bearings are too sticky for the motor to start by itself, but will turn and run w. a manual push. Are these sealed/replace-motor-only types or is lubrication possible (hopefully from below)?
All ideas welcome, I am a 3-4 wrench level do-it-yourselfer with all necessary tools.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
On the heater the flame probably needs adjusting post the make and model.

On the ac you have a bad fan motor "start capacitor" a relativity inexpensive fix.
you need to remove the old one so you can get an exact replacement. It is a small tin can looking thing with wires going to it from the fan.
Probably something like 7.5 MFD 400VAC stamped on the can. Be careful they can hold a charge (normally ac capacitors don't but they can) to be safe take a screwdriver and short the terminals before you touch it.
In some cases there will be 2 capacitors in one can one half for the fan & one half for the compressor. Take a picture of the wiring or wright down where they are connected.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

As far as the gas furnace goes, it sounds like a line or jet obstruction. Also if the outside furnace access is not screened, you may have a wasp nest in there. They really like RV furnaces.

The air conditioner may well have a bad capacitor. Look at the capacitor can. If there is any distortion in the can, that is most likely he culprit.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Sometimes you can just tap lightly on the line close to the burner to get rid of anything. I have to do this once in awhile for the ref. to light.
Quote:
Be careful they can hold a charge
I'll double that one!!! Don't ask!

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
Thanks to those who responded, after cleaning out the mud-dauber nests the heater fires right up... I didn't realize that small fan motors like the A/C had a start capacitor but will check it out...I think the po may have been trying to run it on 20A current.