Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Heat Strips?

my thermostat has both cold and heat settings. Does that mean I have heat strips in my unit? I put it on heat for 5 minutes and the fan set on low. Got no warm air.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
It means there was an option of adding a heat strip. I guess since you are not getting any warm air either there isnt one in yours or it went bad.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
It means there was an option of adding a heat strip.
If that?

My thermostat controls both AC & furnace.

I do have a heat strip and don't care for it. The AC fan has to run if I select the heat strip; the blowing air is only slightly warmed by the heat strip. The noise & breeze of the fan running is obnoxious and uncomfortable when it is cool inside. Perhaps it might warm the Safari in tolerable fashion if I went away for an hour. LP and running the furnace is so easy by comparison.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1975 31' Sovereign
Grovetown , Georgia
You can check to see if you have one by dropping the inside cover. If you see a small u shape tube with fins on it to one side that is the heat strip. I close the vents on the opposite side because this air does not blow over the heat strip. It does take awhile, maybe 5 min.s to start warming. With 2 units in my 34' I can keep it 70 inside with the outside temp in the low 40s. When it dropped to the teens this weekend the furnace that was set around 67 would kick on now and again. The noise that AC fan makes drowns out the furnace coming on, with will wake me up. I would not buy them if I did not all ready have them, ( about $100 or more) but since I do I will use them.

"Decaffinated coffee is the devil's blend."
GO Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Thumbs up Love my heat strip

When I ordered the new low profile Carrier, I had the option of adding a heat strip for $50. I went back and forth over whether to get one or not. In the end, I decided to go ahead. I have been playing with it during this cold snap and I have been impressed with its performance after hearing peoples comments.

Yes, it is loud to use, and yes, it takes a while for it to get the rig warmed up much. On the other hand, the other day when it was 20 out, I went out to check on the rig and it had the inside temp at almost 70. I can see where it will be a nice supplemental heating source when attached to shore power. If I had it to do again, I would get the option for sure.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote