Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Heat Pump Question

I don't fully understand the physics of the heat pump, but I used it recently and I suspect it was creating condensation much like the A/C does. Not sure. Earlier this year when using the A/C I noticed a puddle near the roadside wheels and saw what I presumed to be a dedicated discharge tube for A/C condensation. That makes sense but I could be mistaken. However, after using the heat pump for a couple days (no rain and 60 degrees) water was coming off the roof and puddling on the curbside. I turned it off and switched to the furnace and the puddling was not there the next morning. My question is, does the heat pump produce condensation and is that condensation deliberately channeled/drained somewhere? Haven't had an opportunity to observe on the roof.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It would make sense what you are describing. In summer the water you see by the wheel well is condensate from the cooling process, similar to what you see from a home HVAC central A/C unit.

The process of a heat pump basically reverses the evaporator process where the heat is channeled to the living area evaporator rather than cool when in A/C mode.

When in heat pump mode, the inside evap coils are warm, so the pan inside will not see much condensate, if any to be discharged in the location by the wheel wells. However, in fall when in heat pump mode, the outside evap coils discharge the cool air and it is entirely possible and probable that you'd see moisture coming off the outside coils in certain circumstances in heat pump mode. Keep in mind from what I understand there really are not pans, hoses or drains for the outside evap coils, so condensation coming off the roof should be expected.

I think what you are seeing is perfectly normal.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I agree. What you are seeing is perfectly normal and how the system works.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the heat pump information. I just installed the heat pump and look forward to its use.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Thanks for the heat pump information. I just installed the heat pump and look forward to its use.
Should be perfect for you. I find that the heat pump only switches to the heat strip after extended periods of 30s to high 20s. Probably heat from the coach artificially elevates the outside AC temp. I am at 70 inside with 31 outside in Little Rock right now.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Palm Springs , California
A/C icing up during heat pump operation

I just started using my heat pump and am finding that it ices up after about 6 hours of run time. It heats my rig up to the set point (about 68 degrees) with the outside temp of about 40 degrees. The manual says that the unit shuts off for about 4 1/2 minutes and reverses the flow to defrost the outside coils once the outside temp drops below 41 degrees. I hear my unit doing this, but it doesnt seem to run long enough to fully defrost the unit. Once the unit ices up, it severly limits the amount of heat it puts out. Im in the desert, so the air is relatively dry. Any suggestions?
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote