Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Palm Springs , California
Heat Pump Problem

I just started using my heat pump and am finding that it ices up after about 6 hours of run time. It heats my rig up to the set point (about 68 degrees) with the outside temp of about 40 degrees. The manual says that the unit shuts off for about 4 1/2 minutes and reverses the flow to defrost the outside coils once the outside temp drops below 41 degrees. I hear my unit doing this, but it doesnt seem to run long enough to fully defrost the unit. Once the unit ices up, it severly limits the amount of heat it puts out. I can see the ice on the coils. Im in the desert, so the air is relatively dry. Any suggestions?
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Sorry that no one has responded earlier. I just got a new heat pump and the installer said to run on automatic fan AND only the high speed fan if manual setting. He said, by running the unit (either heat pump or ac), it would tend to freeze up. I trust this helps
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Heat pump is not designed to be very effective in temps below 55 degrees. In OK. it looks like some days get above 55 (not all of them), but at night it appears to not even be close. When it gets below 55 degrees I go to the LP furnace.

FWIW, when using my heat pump or A/C unit, I get little to no freeze up using the A/C in the summer at or above 78 degrees or the heat pump in fall at or above 55 degrees.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
I just started using my heat pump and am finding that it ices up after about 6 hours of run time. It heats my rig up to the set point (about 68 degrees) with the outside temp of about 40 degrees. The manual says that the unit shuts off for about 4 1/2 minutes and reverses the flow to defrost the outside coils once the outside temp drops below 41 degrees. I hear my unit doing this, but it doesnt seem to run long enough to fully defrost the unit. Once the unit ices up, it severly limits the amount of heat it puts out. I can see the ice on the coils. Im in the desert, so the air is relatively dry. Any suggestions?
Once you have severely iced it up you need to run the AC for a while. If it continues; the freeze senor has fallen off, failed, or the control board has failed. It
Depending on what you have for a thermostat, mine switches over to furnance at 40 degrees.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #5

2008 25' Safari
Greenville , South Carolina
I have a 25' 2008 Safari SE with a heat pump. The heat pump constantly cycles on and off for very short periods of time. Is this normal? It will run for a minute or two and then off for about 5 minute. The outside temp is only 50.
tarpon250 is offline   Reply With Quote