Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
northfield , Massachusetts
heat pump or a/c unit

pro and cons of each. was going to order 11,000 btu low profile penguin a/c unit . but carrier unit 640.00 penguin unit almost 930.00 with drip pan.guy on phone wasn't even sure if it was right.so I'm going with carrier.
any help would be appreceated........thanks Don
twiggy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Don,

Wow, I didn’t even know you could get a unit that small. Even up north, I would consider a 13,500btu unit as a minimum. Heat buildup in the sun is amazing.

Given that, I installed a 15,000but Carrier heat pump on my 34’ Excella last fall and was extremely pleased last winter. My primary heat source was a Honeywell digital oil radiator, but when the temps got below, the heat pump would switch to a heat strip and continue to help out. In your area, the furnace would come into play more than here in the south, but I still think it is the way to go.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
northfield , Massachusetts
vswingfield

thanks for the reply,the carrier unit was a 15,000 btu but what is the diff between heat pump& a/c unit with heat strip. thanks Don
twiggy137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Hi Don,

Wow, I didn’t even know you could get a unit that small. Even up north, I would consider a 13,500btu unit as a minimum. Heat buildup in the sun is amazing.

Given that, I installed a 15,000but Carrier heat pump on my 34’ Excella last fall and was extremely pleased last winter. My primary heat source was a Honeywell digital oil radiator, but when the temps got below, the heat pump would switch to a heat strip and continue to help out. In your area, the furnace would come into play more than here in the south, but I still think it is the way to go.
My 19CCD came with an 11K Dometic Penguin A/C unit. I find that it's just right to keep the little bugger cool. If I get anything larger, I would move up to a 13.5 for sure, and the heat pump units work really well, from my experience with them in the MoHos I service.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I had my 19 footer, I had an 11k unit with heat strip. My exp with mine suggested that the smallest I'd go with with a 19 (or a 23) would be a 13.5k w/heat pump.

With LP and all energy costing a ton, being able to take the edge off and keep warm with the heat pump rather than the LP furnace is a big plus. The heat pump works far better than my heat strip did.

So, I suggest wholeheartedly going with a 13.5k unit with heat pump. New Airstreams have the 13.5k unit as part of the LS option, I think even on the 19' units now.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy137 View Post
thanks for the reply,the carrier unit was a 15,000 btu but what is the diff between heat pump& a/c unit with heat strip. thanks Don
Hi Don,

The heat pump has both. It will use the heat pump down to about 40 degrees (where air-to-air heat pumps loose their efficiency) and then switch to the heat strip. The heat strip puts out less heat that the heat pump, at higher ambient air temps, but still functions when the heat pump quits working best.

For me in the south, there is little question. Where you live, the amount of time you camp when it is below 40 would factor in, but I still think it is a good choice.

People are going to scream, but I also think the 15,000btu unit is a good choice too. No mater where you live, solar gain is a big deal.