Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

There are NO heat strips in an RV heat pump. Some roof units do have a heat strip for mild air warming, but these units are solely air conditioners with an auxiliary resistance heating strip and are NOT heat pumps.
Maybe not on the new ones, but on my Carrier AirV heat pump (the nonducted version with the controls on the lower unit, what Carrier called the Free-Blow System) there is a heat strip. See page 5 of the attached flyer, at the bottom of the table, "Backup Heat Source." The Ducted Systems switch to the RV Furnace, the Free-Blow System switch to an Internal 5,600 BTU Heat Strip. Better than nothing, but the heat output is dramatically lower when the Heat Pump stop and it switches over the the strip.

But hey, Carrier dropped out of the RV business altogether, the blankety blank so-and-sos. Shorty after I bought mine.

I can see that switching to the furnace like the ducted versions would be better, but in my 1983 Excella, the AC is independent of the thermostat that controls the furnace, unlike the newer units. The AC/Heat Pump/Heat Strip thermostat is a simple knob in the lower unit, not anything sophisticated.

At least, fingers crossed, everything is fine with my unit so far after almost four years.

Here in Arkansas, I use the Heat Pump and an electric oil radiator most of the time. I rarely use the furnace.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AirV Sp Specifications.pdf (2.26 MB, 11 views)

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
... The AC/Heat Pump/Heat Strip thermostat is a simple knob in the lower unit, not anything sophisticated.
OK, how about crude. I woke up at 5:00 a.m this morning sweating. It was 37 outside and 77 in the bedroom.