Old 12-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Problem with the heat strips is that there is no thermostat control. You get cold, you turn it on. It gets too warm, you turn it off.

There is one other issue with the heat pump. If that defrost cycle isn't long enough, the unit freezes up. I had that happen in Branson one October. It rained all day, temps were in the upper 30's. With the outside humidity extremely high the cold outside coils condensed ice on them. The unit did it's defrost cycle but due to the humidity, the ice didn't completely thaw. Well this was going on all day and by the time we got back to the trailer that evening I found the trailer inside was cold with the heat pump blowing luke warm air. I pointed the flash light on the outside of the trailer and found the outside coils encrusted in a block of ice. The next morning I went out and took this picture. You can see the coils still hadn't defrosted. I still use the heat pump, I just exercise a little restraint when the temps reach 40 and it's extremely humid outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ice.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	93001  

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I also installed a Carrier AirV heat pump about year and a half ago. Part of the reason I got it was the fact that it would automatically switch on the heat strip instead of constantly defrosting when the temperature outside got too cold. This is the standard profile unit and it looks okay on a 31' trailer.

Something I heard but don't know for a fact is that Carrier stopped making these. Maybe they didn't sell enough to be profitable. A real shame if that is true.

Christopher

Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Jack - The Carrier Unit Heat Strip does have a setting for temperature. It's a hot<->cold knob that you need to mess with to find your comfort zone. The fan does not stop when the strip powers off.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Jack - The Carrier Unit Heat Strip does have a setting for temperature. It's a hot<->cold knob that you need to mess with to find your comfort zone. The fan does not stop when the strip powers off.
Glad that Carrier addressed that. With Dometic there was no option like that.

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote