Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
1968 Land Yacht 20

Airstream - Other
Mansfield , Massachusetts
Gas leaking

I have a 1976 28' Argosy and after filling both the propane tanks, I smell gas outside but have no idea where the leak might be coming from. The tanks themselves are new. Anyone else experienced this ? Any recommendations on where the leak might be coming from ? Is there a typical culprit in a rig this old ? Thanks!
LiisaNiemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Turn off both tanks..at the tank. Have the unit checked by the propane dealer...they usually do that for free. A spray bottle of soap water will show you a leak by bubbling at the leak point. Just spray at the connection points...then along the lines if nothing shows up. (you have to have those tank valves open for this leak check.)
Old 08-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Typical leaks on the outside by the tanks are the black flexible lines that connect the tanks to the regulator. Mix up some soapy water using dish soap and spray on the lines then turn on the gas (NO OPEN FLANES NEAR THIS TEST). Watch for bubbles, probably at the crimp on connections on these lines. Do this until you locate the fitting that is bad. These lines are easily replaces and available at WalMart or an RV store. I keep 2 in the trailer as backup - they fail often enough to buy extras.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
While turkey hunting this past April, I sat next to a friend's trailer and started smelling propane. He's a little crazy and checks for leaks like this with a lighter. I asked him to hold up a few minutes and then ran my hands over the lines from the tank to the regulator. I felt a rough place, spit on my finger and touched it on the rough area. Bubbles appeared. After a closer look after he turned off his tanks we noticed rodent teeth marks in an area we had not seen. Good old squirrels in this situation.

Moral of the story, use liquid soap/water solution rather than a lighter. He has been lucky so far.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote