Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

1966 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Furnace won't work -

I've got a 66 Overlander and tried to fire up the furnace for the first time. I turned the thermostat on but nothing happened. I could hear a ticking noise every 10 seconds or so from the back electrical box, but nothing ever fired up. Am I missing something? Where do I light the pilot, do I need to? Any help would be much appreciated.
Skidrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Did the fan start running before you heard the clicking sound? Are you working off shore power or just your battery? There are several threads going on now concerning furnaces that are failing to ignite after first ignition. Those threads actually go through the sequences the heater goes through on startup. If the furnace is very old, I would replace it but if it was replaced a few years back then I would take it to a go RV technician for diagnosis.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
New furnace?

Your description of ticking only fits an electronic ignition of a new furnace. If indeed that is what it is, then most likely, the gas has not gotten back to the unit and it is sparking but no gas to ignite. What David said is, in fact, true. The fan should come on first, before the ticking starts.
If it is one with a pilot light, there should be no ticking at all.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
I suspect that what you are likely hearing is the electronic ignitor ticking.
Depends though on how old the system is and if it's pilot or electronic ignition.

I've got a 67 Safari that was modified by the previous owner to have electronic ignition. If the heater fails to start on the first try, you have to leave the unit off at least 5 mins before it will restart.

To get mine going. First thing I do is turn on the propane tank and open the gas valve to both oven and heater. (They are two seperate controls) Oven / cooktop is under the cooktop. I light the pilot light and cooktop /or oven burner to check the flow of gas through the system. If that checks out, I give it a few minutes before turning on the heater. The fan comes on for a few seconds and then I hear a short burst of ticking sounds which is the igniter.

In my heater, I can raise a panel and peer into what looks like a lawnmower gas cap that is actually a peephole. From there I can see both igniter tips and the burner assembly.

Best of luck

Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #5

1966 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the quick response guys! It seems it's not the furnace that makes the noise - It's placed under the sink, and the sound comes from the back electrical panel. Maybe the furnace isn't hooked up correctly, because I don't hear the fan coming on. I also think there is some truth about the gas lines, I'll try your method Alt -

Thanks again, wish me some luck! It's cold up here in Seattle.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
What Model?

You did not say what make and model. My old Suburban used a push button (spark generator). I got rid of it due to a past recall and replaced it with a newer one.

I am assuming the furnace you have is not the original. Try contacting the manufactorer. Atwood and Suburban both have web sites. If you have a make and model there is a good chance any RV dealer can tell you if you are doing your procedure correctly.

I like new models. Direct spark ignition is wonderful. Vent the lines through the stove to get air out. MAKE SURE YOUR GAS VALVE IS ON! I have a freind that had a major furnace problem that turned out to be the valve was off.

Try the web sites. If that doesn't work, post the make and model of the furnace.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
...Vent the lines through the stove to get air out.
That same procedure works for me also.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Suburban Recall

[quote=Smokin Camel] My old Suburban used a push button (spark generator). I got rid of it due to a past recall and replaced it with a newer one.

Smokin,

I have the original Surburban NT-22 in my '72 and have searched here and checked the website trying to find info about this recall. Do you know what the recall consist of or what parts of the furnace it affects?

I pulled the furnace out of the trailer and took it to a shop today to get a bench test done and would like to pass the info on to the guy who is going to check it out for me.

Thanks, TinB
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Tin Bender,

The recall on the NT22a concerns the crossover tube between (I believe) the fan and the combustion chamber. This tube tends to crack which will pump carbon monoxide inside the coach. Suburban says parts are not available but many parts are interchangeable and you should be able to get a new tube.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Nt 22

Tim, I copied a post from Andy: If you search "suburban furnace and look at the 9-22-05 thread it has some posts.

why don't you e-mail Andy about this? He knnows a lot more about it than I do?

:::::::::

Inland RV Center, In vbmenu_register("postmenu_61829", true);
Rivet Master

Commercial Vendor

Profile: Posts: 3,173

Dan Brawner.

DO NOT USE THE FURNACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are a new owner, then you will not know the history of that furnace.

There is a "RECALL" on that vintage furnace.

The furnace must be removed and bench tested. At the same time, you can determine if the safety recall has been complied with.

The recall involved replacement of the "crossover" rubber hose.

If that hose is cracked or not secure, you "WILL" get carbon monoxide" in the trailer.

Andy

The largest "Vintage"Airstream parts headquarters on the planet.

Home of the "Airstream X-STREAM MAKEOVER".
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Thanks Marshall and Camel...

Guess I missed some things in my search. Printed the info from Andy's post and will take to the repair shop in the a.m. Plus, I can get a look at it for myself and decide if it stays or goes.

TinB.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Furnace won't work

Tin B

Glad you are taking your furnace to the shop! Make sure they also clean it. If it is the original and you see that it is not a problem with the tube, being the original, you don't want to take a chance on it having other problems.

Lee Pace
72 tradewind
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
By the way, the recall has long expired. I checked. I have a NT22a and am in the process of deciding if it is salvageable. I would get an estimate for getting it running. You may spend more $ than a new furnace.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Cool Post #250

TinB,

There was time when I actually thought it preferable to restore/refurbish the orignal NT-32a in my old Overlander. It worked but not well. (Had to be lit manually, and wouldn't stay lit overnight. There were a few fumes but not too bad.) I removed it, cleaned it up really good (shook quite a bit of soot out) and took it to an RV repair place where they bench tested it. Turned out a valve inside was not shutting off completely, allowing a continuous flow of gas. They contacted Suburban Manufacturing and were informed that the part was no longer available, and the furnace should not be used, as it was dangerous.

I was disappointed at the time, as I had already replaced the original water heater and refrigerator, but I purchased an NT-30 from Palomino Parts for around $325 and spent an afternoon fabricating a bit to make it fit.

Long story short, I have a modern furnace which comes on automatically when I move the thermostat and the peace of mind I have is worth it all.

For the life of me, after installing two of these (I installed one in my Overlander last March before selling it and one just recently in my Sovereign), I cannot see why anyone would waste their time, resources, and most importantly, their safety trying to keep a furnace that is over 30 years old!

But, I thought that way too, once.

p.s. - I just realized this was post #250 for me and I am now officially a 4 Rivet Member. I feel so much better about myself!
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Talking What he said! Yes!

What Pizzachop said! Amen!

Who is it in the forum that says "spend the bucks", actually if you look around you can find a good furnace for 3-400. Keeps you warm, is probably more efficient, has auto ignition, good heat exchanger - so low chance of CO in trailer. You'll sleep better-and wake up!

Do put a CO & Lp detectors in as well, they are worth it.

Plus look at all of the fun you'll have being creative and instlling a new furnace. I had to use angle iron, plywood and sheet metal to fit (cobble) mine in and it works great.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Furnace bench test

[quote=PizzaChop]
Long story short, I have a modern furnace which comes on automatically when I move the thermostat and the peace of mind I have is worth it all.

PizzaChop,

I'm 100% with you on this. I have absolutely no intention of risking my safety over $$$. I learned about the problem/recall here in the forums and did not ever even attempt to light the furnace prior to pulling it out. Actually, I have been thinking replacement from the start and have already been searching for prices on the 30 model as a replacement. Some things you just don't "fix".

Just keep posting your tips for redoing the bath. That's next right after reattaching the wheel well covers.

Thanks much, TinB
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
TinB,

The whole bath experience is foggier and foggier the smaller it gets in my rearview mirror. (I'm glad I took lots of pics because I can't remember very much of it anymore!)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #18

1966 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Well after all the tries and great advise from the forum, I took it down to Great American RV (not my favorite place) And had them take a look at it. Turns our my thermostat needed to be replaced and it works like a dream!

Do you all think I should add a second battery to run my furnace through the night? We go winter camping, and sometimes we don't have a hookup -

-skidrd
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
2nd battery

While the thought of winter camping (I am in Wisconsin) with the current forecast makes me shiver to even think about it. Maybe I can find a 25 ft. Prka for the old camel.

I added a second battery to mine last year. I also have a furnace that uses about a third of the poer of the first one. Over all I like having the two battery set up. Mine are just group 24. A couple of 27's and you would have a 100+ amps available without falling under the 50% line. I only have 170 total (about 85 available==50% rule) and I have not come close to hitting the low level, even on a couple of nights with the furnace running consistantly a 36 led reading lamp and a radio going--maybe another light on and off here and there.

I suggest doing an amperage budget first. Look up the amp/hr of all of you appliances and you will have an idea if you need a second or not. The big 27's are expensive. My 85 amp Delco AGM batteries were priced right---free! Guess what powers air raid sirens....only one battery is certified----guess what they do with them after a couple of years. Solve that and you are on your way to a potential source of excellent batteries (after all of the electricians have one for the trolling motor).

Back to my original point: something like one of those 12v christmass tree type bulbs use about 1.5-1.6/hr. Your furnace fan should be on the spec sheet. Would you have a vent going etc etc etc. Do a list and think cold camping, warm camping and hot camping-all in a dry camping format.

Try to keep the battery over 50% charged, so you have 50% amps. If you have a group 27 battery you should have about 50 available amps from a full charge. A group 24 (about the size of a typical car battery--but much heavier) you will have about 40-45 amps available. It is sort of a fun project. Watch out for AC stuff on an inverter, those can really suck power. The inverter is costing you a percent or two just being on line. Do the power conversion on those appliances if you anticipate using something AC on an inverter. There are a lot of good threads on doing that and some reference to electrical budgeting charts. It is sort of fun and give you a lot of respect for power budgeting and a good generator.