Old 01-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Talking What he said! Yes!

What Pizzachop said! Amen!

Who is it in the forum that says "spend the bucks", actually if you look around you can find a good furnace for 3-400. Keeps you warm, is probably more efficient, has auto ignition, good heat exchanger - so low chance of CO in trailer. You'll sleep better-and wake up!

Do put a CO & Lp detectors in as well, they are worth it.

Plus look at all of the fun you'll have being creative and instlling a new furnace. I had to use angle iron, plywood and sheet metal to fit (cobble) mine in and it works great.

Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Furnace bench test

Long story short, I have a modern furnace which comes on automatically when I move the thermostat and the peace of mind I have is worth it all.

I'm 100% with you on this. I have absolutely no intention of risking my safety over $$$. I learned about the problem/recall here in the forums and did not ever even attempt to light the furnace prior to pulling it out. Actually, I have been thinking replacement from the start and have already been searching for prices on the 30 model as a replacement. Some things you just don't "fix".

Just keep posting your tips for redoing the bath. That's next right after reattaching the wheel well covers.

Thanks much, TinB

tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia

The whole bath experience is foggier and foggier the smaller it gets in my rearview mirror. (I'm glad I took lots of pics because I can't remember very much of it anymore!)
Ron Kaes
Psalm 112
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
1966 26' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Well after all the tries and great advise from the forum, I took it down to Great American RV (not my favorite place) And had them take a look at it. Turns our my thermostat needed to be replaced and it works like a dream!

Do you all think I should add a second battery to run my furnace through the night? We go winter camping, and sometimes we don't have a hookup -

Skidrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
2nd battery

While the thought of winter camping (I am in Wisconsin) with the current forecast makes me shiver to even think about it. Maybe I can find a 25 ft. Prka for the old camel.

I added a second battery to mine last year. I also have a furnace that uses about a third of the poer of the first one. Over all I like having the two battery set up. Mine are just group 24. A couple of 27's and you would have a 100+ amps available without falling under the 50% line. I only have 170 total (about 85 available==50% rule) and I have not come close to hitting the low level, even on a couple of nights with the furnace running consistantly a 36 led reading lamp and a radio going--maybe another light on and off here and there.

I suggest doing an amperage budget first. Look up the amp/hr of all of you appliances and you will have an idea if you need a second or not. The big 27's are expensive. My 85 amp Delco AGM batteries were priced right---free! Guess what powers air raid sirens....only one battery is certified----guess what they do with them after a couple of years. Solve that and you are on your way to a potential source of excellent batteries (after all of the electricians have one for the trolling motor).

Back to my original point: something like one of those 12v christmass tree type bulbs use about 1.5-1.6/hr. Your furnace fan should be on the spec sheet. Would you have a vent going etc etc etc. Do a list and think cold camping, warm camping and hot camping-all in a dry camping format.

Try to keep the battery over 50% charged, so you have 50% amps. If you have a group 27 battery you should have about 50 available amps from a full charge. A group 24 (about the size of a typical car battery--but much heavier) you will have about 40-45 amps available. It is sort of a fun project. Watch out for AC stuff on an inverter, those can really suck power. The inverter is costing you a percent or two just being on line. Do the power conversion on those appliances if you anticipate using something AC on an inverter. There are a lot of good threads on doing that and some reference to electrical budgeting charts. It is sort of fun and give you a lot of respect for power budgeting and a good generator.

Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote