Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Question Furnace Won't Fire/ Start

Hi All,

I have a problem here. I have a 2005 28 foot international. Problem is the furnace wont start.

Background: was working fine one week ago. Brought it home and parked it, left the furnace on 50 to keep it warm enough for the de humidifier to dry it out. Came out the next day and not heat. The propane tank is not empty, I checked all the fuses and they are intact, no breakers are tripped.

When I adjust the thermostat, I dont hear that click right before the heat turns on.

Any suggestions before I bring it to AS to have a look?

Thanks,

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Propane Leak Detector active?

Couldn't quite tell from message if adjusting up thermostat starts the fan, but no click for ignition of burner, or if thermostat has no effect on furnace...

Propane leak detector has to be on and working to let propane get to unit to fire burner. Without proper funciton, fan might run as part of start sequence, but that is all. Next possible failure mode is sensor for fan operation, which is paddle that moves with flowing air to trigger gas and spark for burner firing..

Might also be a voltage sensitive circuit in furnace, that won't launch if voltage drops from weakened battery. Battery might be able to light interior lights, but 24 hours of running the furnace will essentially drain it, and problem might be in battery charge circuit also, or battery might be out of electrolyte...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #3
Hondo was a great cat

Salt Lake City , Utah
Here is what I know

I was unable to start the furnace even with the RV hooked up to shore power so I doubt it was an electrical power issue. The fan does not even start, usually the fan turns on and the furnace lights later but nothing.

Thanks for thinking about this.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
I was unable to start the furnace even with the RV hooked up to shore power so I doubt it was an electrical power issue. The fan does not even start, usually the fan turns on and the furnace lights later but nothing.

Thanks for thinking about this.

John
John,

You might have a bad thermostat, assuming that you do have 12VDC going to the furnace. Even if they don't ignite, they usually will kick the fan on.

Here's what to do:

Remove the t/stat cover and then unscrew the t/stat from the wall. Locate the 2 blue wires, fashion a jumper wire and put it across these terminals. What you are doing is by-passing the t/stat and giving the furnace the signal to start. There is always 12VDC going to the furnace, and the t/stat simply acts as an on/off switch by completing the circuit with these 2 blue wires.

If the furnace blower comes on, leave the jumper in place and the furnace should fire with-in 30 seconds. This tells you that the t/stat is bad and should be replaced.

Let us know how you make out with the trial.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Trust but verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
...Propane leak detector has to be on and working to let propane get to unit to fire burner ...
I can believe Condoluminum's statement. It makes good sense, and is technically easily achievable.

Would anyone care to confirm the statement?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Hondo was a great cat

Salt Lake City , Utah
I think the part about the propane leak detector has merit. Now where is it again? Is that at the bottom of the fridge with the little white button? I pressed it for a few seconds and it honked at me.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Hondo was a great cat

Salt Lake City , Utah
Lewster, thanks so much. I pulled the Tstat off, removed the two wires and connected them to each other. The furnace turned on, heat came on, all was good. I re connected the T Stat unmounted and pressed on each component. The on off tab at the top of the T Stat was the problem. Once it was in better placement, the TStat worked normally. Thanks.

Here is another reason why I am so grateful for the advice. See the Border Collie in the Avatar? He has Prostate Cancer and had to go to Pullman, 300 miles from here for treatment. We use the Airstream as temporary housing for the trip. Found out the Cancer has moved to his lungs so all we can do is make his last days/weeks/month or so as happy as he has made us.

Thanks very much.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Good Call Lew !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thanks!

John,

Sorry to hear about your pooch . It's so tough to loose a furry friend. Hope you'll be OK!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Rockmart , Georgia
I assume "propane leak detector" is the same as a "gas detection unit", which is what I have located in my Airstream just inside entrance door near the floor. Anyway, you say it has to be on and working to let prepane get to unit to fire burner. I have had my gas detection unit turned off, and my furnace continues to work. It also beeps when I turn it to the on position.
Like I say, I am not sure that my unit is what you are referring to when you say propane leak detector.
I am worried now that I may have a leak. Thanks for any advise!
Tom.
Sovereign86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Tom,

Some LP leak detectors are 'local' and work like a smoke detector.......they just make noise when they detect an LP leak or fumes. Other are wired into a gas solenoid valve just downstream from the LP tanks and will close the valve at the slightest detection of any LP, thus eliminating the possibility of a 'situation' and blocking the flow of LP to any of the appliances.

If your LP system still works with the detector off, you probably have a 'local' variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign86
I assume "propane leak detector" is the same as a "gas detection unit", which is what I have located in my Airstream just inside entrance door near the floor. Anyway, you say it has to be on and working to let prepane get to unit to fire burner. I have had my gas detection unit turned off, and my furnace continues to work. It also beeps when I turn it to the on position.
Like I say, I am not sure that my unit is what you are referring to when you say propane leak detector.
I am worried now that I may have a leak. Thanks for any advise!
Tom.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Still looking for confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
...Other[s] are wired into a gas solenoid valve just downstream from the LP tanks and will close the valve at the slightest detection of any LP...
Does anyone know if Airstream wires this way?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnerges
Lewster, thanks so much. I pulled the Tstat off, removed the two wires and connected them to each other. The furnace turned on, heat came on, all was good. I re connected the T Stat unmounted and pressed on each component. The on off tab at the top of the T Stat was the problem. Once it was in better placement, the TStat worked normally. Thanks.

Here is another reason why I am so grateful for the advice. See the Border Collie in the Avatar? He has Prostate Cancer and had to go to Pullman, 300 miles from here for treatment. We use the Airstream as temporary housing for the trip. Found out the Cancer has moved to his lungs so all we can do is make his last days/weeks/month or so as happy as he has made us.

Thanks very much.

John
John, sorry to hear about your pup's condition. Hope you and he can enjoy together whatever time he has remaining.
Streamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
searching forums, found this thread...it appears my unit right now has this problem...I tried reseting thermostat...nothing....turned on, no fan kicks on, no furnace...no clicking....

my unit is a 21014 bunkhouse.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
im not really sure I understand the solution discussed here to be honest....ill be tinkering with this tomorrow.....I am connected to AC power...I have power...I have not checked fuse panel and all fuses yet....will do that...are there internal breakers for the furnace in the AS I need to check as well?

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
pharmgeek: you have a new unit with the thermostat which ties the heat pump and AC units to the furnace. You also, as I recall, have two AC units. The Dometic thermostat is a (my opinion) diabolical device designed to frustrate any sane user.

My best guess is that a very careful reading of the manual on the thermostat may get you back in service if you can follow their not very clear instructions.

And Lew seems to be the master of the Dometic thermostat, he many have some ideas too.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Checked the fuses and breakers in the panel just under the fridge - all good

I did a reset per manual and no dice

Gave the "Intit" prompt just as manual said (and dealer showed me this as well)

Propane is getting to my burners FYI

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You have propane in the tanks? Thermostat has power, is in the furnace mode, and the setting is higher than the surrounding air temp?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yep

And to add now as I fiddle with it - I changed to heat pump and it kicked on....so thermostat for that seems to be working

Old 01-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390193866.495045.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	644.2 KB
ID:	203974