Old 10-12-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
1973 Argosy 24
x , Missouri
furnace won't blow hot

I have a 73 argosy 24. I have never had any experience with gas furnaces. I got the pilot light to stay lit, the fan kicks on when i turn on the thermostat but i don't ever get any hot air to blow. Any suggestions?

73argosy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
It sounds like the gas valve is not opening. Also if this is the original Suburban furnace STOP trying to light it. These furnaces have been known to explode and at the very least put out carbon monoxide. Take it out, replace it with a modern one and be safe.

WBCCI# 9259 AIR# 38927 TAC-TX 14
Stop Littering-Spay & Neuter-- Adopt From Rescue
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Spruce Grove , Alberta
Had a similar issue this year. Checked everything over, pulled the furnace, and it blew hot on the workbench. Turns out it was the regulator. New purchase two seasons ago. Put on another one from the pile (advantages to being a pack rat), and the 20year old standby worked perfect.
Life would be so boring, if it weren't for some gremlins in heating, electrical and plumbing systems.
Good luck
Janel.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Livingston , Texas
Your problem could be any number of possibilities from low voltage, to a bad limit switch, to a bad sail switch, to a gas supply issue, to .......

If you do a web search of for "trouble shooting a suburban RV furnace" on Yahoo you should see a listing "Suburban furnace and service manual from BR Wholesale RV and Marine", which will take you to a PDF that has a trouble shooting guide and chart. FWIW there isn't a step in the chart that says "replace furnace because it is old"
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote