Old 03-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Question Furnace while traveling....

Is it ok to leave the piolet on and the furnace running while driving?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
We turn off all the gas before moving the trailer. That means an ice block to keep the food cool in the fridge, but in my mind, even spoiled food is better than the risk of a fire. No, I wouldn't leave a furnace running while moving.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It is safer to travel with the gas turned off completely, but I feel like the risk is acceptable to travel with the refrigerator operating on propane. If the pilot light goes out the thermocouple will turn the gas off. I guess you could travel with the furnace on, but why would you? I like to keep the items in the refrigerator cold, but I don't see any need to keep the trailer warm when I am not in it.

Dan
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
I agree with TrailerDan. I'd further the point by adding that I turn off the propane switch to the water heater while moving.

I've towed roughly 20,000 miles in the last sixteen or so months allowing the propane to stay on to keep the 'fridge cold.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
It is safer to travel with the gas turned off completely, but I feel like the risk is acceptable to travel with the refrigerator operating on propane. If the pilot light goes out the thermocouple will turn the gas off. I guess you could travel with the furnace on, but why would you? I like to keep the items in the refrigerator cold, but I don't see any need to keep the trailer warm when I am not in it.

Dan
Hi, Dan. You never know. When we went to South Dakota in October, It got down to zero degrees at night and never above freezing temps during the day. We left our furnace on 24 hrs a day. When we left, I kept my furnace on while driving until I reached a warmer area, where it was no longer needed. I would have thought the same as you until this trip.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Cool pics!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Thanks for the info... We are in for mountains and we have been having freezup problems and we are going into warmer area tomarrow... For today we will travel with the heat on...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
One idea to consider is to lower the furnace to say 50 degrees to prevent the freeze ups but not waste propane trying to keep the coach warm & cozy at 70 degrees.

Also, sometimes when it's that cold out, I'll stop a bit short of my destination and crank up the heat so it's nice & cozy by the time I get to my destination.

Just a couple thoughts!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Safety first. However, we left one morning with the temp at 28 and a full tank of water. To make sure I didn't have frozen pipes at our destination I left the heat at 50. It worked. Also, when we stopped for lunch the trailer was warm.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
McLeod , Texas
Thanks all

It's good to have information that could become very important in an emergency situation. I've wondered about running the furnace while on the road. Good to know that you can do so at least kinda safely if needed. Thanks for bringing it up.

Tom
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Just another observation while traveling in cold weather.
If there is no heat in the trailer and the temps dip into the teens or below while driving there is a possibility of the plastic parts like the older headliner end caps, (made of plastic) can crack when the trailer flexes.
I had it happen on an older trailer. A little warmth from the heater could have prevented that from happening.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Be sure to turn off furnace and fridge before entering a gas island. Even if you are pumping diesel, others are probably pumping gas.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by au_ee View Post
Be sure to turn off furnace and fridge before entering a gas island. Even if you are pumping diesel, others are probably pumping gas.
I did some digging a while ago and found some petroleum industry reports on fires and their causes while refueling.

There are only two significant sources of fires at gas pumps:
1) The (now well known) hazard of static discharge when filling a gas can or a piece of portable equipment on a plastic bedliner in a pickup truck.
2) Static discharge in extremely dry climates when the driver contacts the nozzle when refueling is complete, usually but not always after having climbed back into the driver's seat and out again.

Vapors ignited as a result of people smoking cigarettes while refueling is a distant third.

I used to shut off my furnace and fridge while refueling but have since concluded that it does nothing to improve safety.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I did some digging a while ago and found some petroleum industry reports on fires and their causes while refueling.

There are only two significant sources of fires at gas pumps:
1) The (now well known) hazard of static discharge when filling a gas can or a piece of portable equipment on a plastic bedliner in a pickup truck.
2) Static discharge in extremely dry climates when the driver contacts the nozzle when refueling is complete, usually but not always after having climbed back into the driver's seat and out again.

Vapors ignited as a result of people smoking cigarettes while refueling is a distant third.

I used to shut off my furnace and fridge while refueling but have since concluded that it does nothing to improve safety.
I would presume that the percentage of RVs with gas appliances turned on while fueling is very small. This in itself could account for this not appearing as a cause in the Petroleum statistics. Also, most new gas appliances use piezo electric starters which cause a spark to ignite the gas. If there are gas fumes in the area when the appliance restarts (since they all cycle on and off) this could cause the gas fumes to ignite. Once on a trip in Tennessee, we were parked at the gas pump and went in to pay. The car on the other side of the pump took off without unhooking the nozel tearing it from the pump. Before the safety switch could be engaged our vehicle was surrounded by gas. Fluke accidents can happen. It may be a small chance that you would have a problem but I would still opt on the side of safety.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote