Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Propane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, the number one cause of fires at gas stations is from women, not RV's.
All the girls are HOT.

Propane
In the interest of safety first, the rule is to shut off all ignition sources while fueling, taking on Propane, and or parked in an enclosed work area where flammable material is being used or stored.
I usually am fueling at the diesel pump and the risk is low, however, I always shut off the furnace or fridge, before entering the pump island area. Better safe than sorry. You owe it to the other people in the vicinity to do your part to ensure the safety of all. Its just a matter of flipping the switch!

Just like the rule - you don't make sparks around a charging battery. You can maybe get away with it many times but, if you do it often enough, the odds will catch up to you.

Natural disasters are hard to take, but man made preventable accidents are a CRIME.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is more than a matter of flipping a switch. It means stopping before the island, possibly on the side of the road, or within the gas station area blocking traffic. This increases the risk of an accident. Then you get out of the tow vehicle (some risk, however small, of someone running you down) and go back to the trailer and walk around the back to the door, put down the stairs, unlocking the door, going inside and flipping the switch (actually pushing a button in ours), going back outside (possibly tripping on the steps and doing a face plant), closing the door, getting back in the tow vehicle, pulling up to the island, filling up, leaving to somewhere to park again and repeat the process in reverse before you go with similar risks. I wonder which collection of risks is more likely—both approaches have risk.

Whatever the risk of leaving applicances on during fueling, now there are rubber seals on the fueling nozzles to prevent the escape of gas fumes.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Gene makes a valid point. As a practical matter it is extremely awkward to enter the trailer and turn the fridge off and on before and after fueling. In many fueling situations there's no good place to do it, out of traffic, away from the pumps, and where there is sufficient room to maneuver.

There was a brief span of years where Airstream used a 9-pin umbilical connector that had some sort of provision for shutting off the fridge from the tow vehicle. It was dropped when the big 3 started offering 7-way RV connectors as options and in some cases standard equipment on trucks and vans.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #24
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Pilot Lights

ALWAYS extinguish propane pilot lights in recreational
vehicles,campers, motorhomes and other
vehicles before refueling the vehicle.

The above is a quote from page 3 of the following!

http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...uel_safety.pdf

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
It is more than a matter of flipping a switch. It means stopping before the island, possibly on the side of the road, or within the gas station area blocking traffic. This increases the risk of an accident. Then you get out of the tow vehicle (some risk, however small, of someone running you down) and go back to the trailer and walk around the back to the door, put down the stairs, unlocking the door, going inside and flipping the switch (actually pushing a button in ours), going back outside (possibly tripping on the steps and doing a face plant), closing the door, getting back in the tow vehicle, pulling up to the island, filling up, leaving to somewhere to park again and repeat the process in reverse before you go with similar risks. I wonder which collection of risks is more likely—both approaches have risk.

Whatever the risk of leaving applicances on during fueling, now there are rubber seals on the fueling nozzles to prevent the escape of gas fumes.

Gene
Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post

ALWAYS extinguish propane pilot lights in recreational

vehicles,campers, motorhomes and other

vehicles before refueling the vehicle.

The above is a quote from page 3 of the following!

Dave

Hi, I just don't understand Canada! In Canada, you can tow an Airstream with a Mini-Cooper, but in USA you have to have a Kenworth. In Canada, You only have to be ten feet away from the gas pumps to smoke cigarettes, but in USA you have to be twenty five feet away.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
DON’T smoke within 7.5
metres (25 feet) of a gasoline

pump (3 metres or 10 feet in Ontario).

Must be the metric conversion that makes it safe.
Trudeau told us it would make everything we do easier back in 1969 when we changed to metric.
Myself - - I'm still trying to make it work.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I just don't understand Canada! In Canada, you can tow an Airstream with a Mini-Cooper, but in USA you have to have a Kenworth. In Canada, You only have to be ten feet away from the gas pumps to smoke cigarettes, but in USA you have to be twenty five feet away.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think you have to have your propane tanks recertified in Canada sooner than the US—10 years vs. 12 years if I recall correctly. Maybe that's why you can smoke closer to the gas pump (in your Mini).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #28
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's the metric cigarettes. They're safer.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Found this link about gasses and dumping black tanks. Enjoy!

Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If you want to watch the link on post #29 just select "watch it on U tube", and it will play. I don't know why it came up twice in the post. I must have done something wrong.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote