Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
I hope this worked/1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	30478  
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
I did something similar with an NT30. I used 7/8" plywood to "cobble" my new furnace into the original housing. (I did have to move it to the right about 3/4" to make the exhaust line up. Also had to cut a hole out of the side of the housing just like Smokin Camel. I lined the inside of the box with aluminum tape.

The first picture is in a '73 Sovereign. The other two were done in the '72 Overlander just before I sold it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nt30-1a.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	30489   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	30490  

Name:	furnace5.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	30491  
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Check the Alloy gas valve.

Hi from the UK,

My furnace has just come back from a service/repair. It worked at first but now will only blow cold. When I went back to the guy to ask what could be wrong he said that the inlet valve was sticking. Apparantly it's common. and due to lack of use. He recommended I give the side of the furnace a clout as the spark ignites to clear the sticking valve! He said he didn't have the valve in stock so he couldn't replace it.

Can you imagine me with a Flintsone type club resting against the kitchen wall ready for the time I want the furnace ignited? Or naked on the Gaucho because I don't dare turn the furnace off for fear it wont start again? Perhaps we shouldn't go there!

I wish he'd told me the extent of the problem before charging me $550 dollars just to replace the board. Replacing the valve will probably cost just as much if I can't beat the thing hard enough to get it started. So, that's a $1000 for a beaten up furnace! I could import a new one for less than $800. But, I guess he doesn't think that way! That wont make him any money!
At the end of all this he'll probably expect to sell me a new furnace... $1400

Marc
Pissed of Romsey!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Sitting on the gaucho naked is NICE if you have a catalytic heater churning out the BTU's (and that's British and thank you for converting to dollars) on the available flesh. However, if you have a cat behind you with natural curiousty and a tendency to poke things with a claw, prepare to say, "Ouch!" and have a one-sided discussion.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:04 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Lol!

In the words of Robin Williams, that's the moment you invent the Cat-a-pult!

Did you hear the difference between cats and dogs?

The dog thinks: I get everything from you, you must be a God!
The cat thinks: You give me everything, I must be a God!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:57 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Campbell River , B.C.
Gas Furnace won't remain lit.

I recently saw an article in the Blue Barrett that talked about using a tooth pick dipped in rubbing alcohol in the orifice of the gas line. This will assure the orifice is open enough to get adequate flow. I believe the alcohol does some dissolving at the point. I recently tried this on my '86 Sovreign and was successfil in getting it to light and run well.

Be careful not to distort the orifice; be gentle.

As far as the fan is concerned, there is a switch that requires the fan to show air flow before it will allow gas flow for ignition. You likely saw the switch while you were cleaning the unit. Check this switch and assure it functions well. Also, if the motor hasn't run in a long time, it will likely need lubrication if oil can be put on the bearings. If they are bad enough, it will cause a high resistance and likely shut the fan down or burn out the winding. Listen to it for smooth operation.

There is also a circuit that requires the fan to run for a time to clear the furnace after a burn. This can be a source of ignition failure.

Best regards, William_Mc
William_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
NT22a Furnace update/71 Tradewind

Well, Suburban did recall this furnace because of a problem with the crossover tube disintegrating. Pulled the furnace and sure enough they were right. No service dealer in this area is willing to work on the furnace because of liability, but one told me what they used to do is put in a piece of auto gas tank filler hose. They said it is an easy repair and worth a shot.

I've gone this far so I think I will give it a wack (famous last words). At least it will be a learning experience. Will keep yall posted unless I blow up.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #28
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
...Will keep yall posted unless I blow up.
You won't blow up, CO is the silent killer

I'm not sure that gas tank hose is made to take the heat, but maybe it will work fine. Here is some hi-temp hose...

Another connection problem for me was the furnace exhaust. I think that it was fitted with some kind of asbestos rope packing around the connection to the outside cover.

Let us know how it goes,

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote