Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
DC blower motors usually do fail due to bearing failure caused by seal failure and loss of lubrication.

When a replacement motor is unavailable or excessively costly it is possible to disassemble the motor and lubricate the bearings. I have done this several times on cars, trucks, and ag equipment, though never on a furnace. My experience has been that it doesn't always help (sometimes the bearings are too far gone for lubrication to help), and at best it's a fix that will last a few years. After all, it's the seal failure that led to the problem in the first place, and squirting some oil in there doesn't do anything to fix that.

I had a planter (for corn) that had individual electric blowers for each row to provide air for the metering system. I ended up drilling holes on the outside of the motors so I could drizzle in some oil every year. It worked out OK but then the motors were easily accessible.

I'm guessing Skater's rv tech may have re-oiled the bearings for similar reasons. It can be nearly impossible to remove a badly rusted blower wheel without damaging it and without a replacement wheel in hand it would be tempting to take shortcuts.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off