Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
copper canyon , Texas
Furnace smells

I have a 2004 28', Safari. I have been running the furnace due to some cold weather in Texas, even though I did winterize. The carbon dioxide monitor went off yesterday and I smelled what I thought was exhaust fumes, not propane. I aired it out and set the thermostat at 40*. Now the monitor blinks red when running and green shortly after the furnace stops running. Still smells what I think is exhaust.

I pulled the cover to the furnace and saw no obstructions or anything out of the ordinary. Same thing for under the cabinets where the ducts are.

Any ideas? Thanks!
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Sounds like a combustion chamber leak. Get it checked out before you try sleeping in it.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It is common for mud daubers and other insects to get into the furnace from the outside vents and build nests which restrict the flow of air through the combustion chamber causing poor combustion. However the combustion chamber should be totally isolated from the interior air path which warms the trailer.

So, I suspect you have a leaking combustion chamber, which is quite dangerous. Please have it checked out by a professional if you do not feel comfortable working on it yourself. This is a possible life safety issue and must not be ignored.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
copper canyon , Texas
Thanks for the feedback. I'll take it in for service.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Is that furnace a Suburban?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I assume you mean a carbon monoxide detector (CO), not carbon dioxide (CO2)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
copper canyon , Texas
Whatever
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Get ready to buy a new one. The difficulty involved in changing it out is directly related to where it is. The actual connections are a breeze.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #9

1976 Argosy 26
Jackson , Wyoming
Anyone have a suggestion for replacing an original Subrurban NT-22CA from a 1976 Argosy? I bought it a year ago and took it for our 1st trip in cold Wyoming and the carbon monoxide detector went off because the battery was running down- it seemed like the fan did not have enough power to get rid of the fumes inside. I have 2 kids and a wife and I don't want to have to worry about not waking up in the morning from carbon monoxide... Thanks, any insight would be helpful.
visosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by visosky View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for replacing an original Subrurban NT-22CA from a 1976 Argosy? I bought it a year ago and took it for our 1st trip in cold Wyoming and the carbon monoxide detector went off because the battery was running down- it seemed like the fan did not have enough power to get rid of the fumes inside. I have 2 kids and a wife and I don't want to have to worry about not waking up in the morning from carbon monoxide... Thanks, any insight would be helpful.
Replace it with another NT-22, they are still available I am sure. the mounting may be a little different since yours was made but the size and location of the inlet and exhaust pipes will be very close to the same.

There should be no fumes inside in any event, even with a weak battery. Your combustion chamber is probably leaking, very dangerous. Do not use it until you have it replaced.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

Jackson , Wyoming
Thanks Rivet Master. I did some looking around last night and it looks like some people are recommending replacing with a NT-30SP. What are your thoughts on this? Is there anything with newer technology in these heaters compared to something that is 36 years old.
dvisosky is offline   Reply With Quote