Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Citra , Florida
Furnace sitting on plywood

The previous owner of my 72 31' Sovreign, installed a new furnace, but has it sitting on plywood that was used to fill in the space of the old furnace platform. Is this correct ?
Sweski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweski
The previous owner of my 72 31' Sovreign, installed a new furnace, but has it sitting on plywood that was used to fill in the space of the old furnace platform. Is this correct ?
I've seen a number of furnaces mounted this way, but if it were my rig I would definitely slip a piece of galvanized sheet metal under the unit.....just for piece if mind.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I just replaced mine. The old one was sitting on plywood so that is where I put the new one. It sat there for 28 yrs. why change it.
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Most rv floors are wood. Most AS furnaces seem to sit either on the floor or on spacer blocks (often of wood). The manufacturer of any heat producing appliance sets the clearances for top, bottom, and sides. Just check your brand and model and locate the service or technical model. The clearances for the bottom are almost always zero, and for many models are zero clearance for the sides and top. Some models require an inch or more side or top clearance. Follow the mfr recommendation.

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote