Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Furnace replacement - not cheap.

Our furnace started making a whining noise last year. We rarely use it, so I didn't worry about looking into the reason why until this winter, when the trailer was in storage.

Turns out that the burn chamber is rusted out and the entire furnace needs replacing - I don't mess about with CO2.

The price I have been quoted is CAN $1100 for the furnace, plus the labour for installation. Ouch. Does this sound reasonable?

At this stage, I don't think I'll bother. We're having an expensive year, with home renovations going on, so I think I'll just have the lines capped for now and get it fixed next year.

Last year, we needed heat maybe twice, and were always plugged in when that was the case, so can just use the heat pump for now.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
I was shocked at the price, too. I pulled my old furnace out and found lots of storage space! I did have a quick disconnect gas line installed so I can us a catalytic heater if needed, although I haven't purchased one yet. I put in a long, flexible line so I can run it out the old furnace vent and use the heater outside, too.

So far, I can get by w/electric space heaters.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Ours was dead so when we went to Orlando to see the DW's sister, I watched the papers, called around, and got one from Camper's World on sale at US$399.

There was a fair bit of horsing around to get the new one installed, but thankfully I had a really fantastic helper who made it relatively painless and quite safe.

Have a look at the story if you are to. Here's a link to that section (lots of photos) and if the link doesn't go right to it, it is post #165 in my thread there.

I too have noticed the ridiculous differences in US parts and appliance pricing to ours here in Canada. Look at the refer pricing here, you will fall off your chair! I am convinced that part of the difference is likely that Canadian retailers do not buy directly from the manufacturers, but rather they go through another step, a local distributor. This adds another whole step in the sales structure and consequently a lot more overhead.

Shop across the border, say Buffalo, in your case. You will see a huge price difference, even when paying the duty and sales tax.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
If one is able to do the work, the prices on the internet for the furnace are about one half the quoted amount above.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If prices for the furnaces are anything like the water heaters, look to the US. I ordered my water heater from a reputable seller on eBay for less than half the price it would have cost me at the local trailer supply shop. Whoever you buy from, ask that they send it via USPS so you don't get fleeced by the UPS duty rates.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sorry, I realized that the reference I made to buying a furnace for $399 were incorrect: that was our water heater!

Here are is the details of the furnace purchase, still a good deal compared to buying it in Canada:
But the price was the stopper. Up here in Canada, it runs around a thousand dollars plus HST which is 13%. Yep, that's right: $1,130! I had been watching an ebaY seller for quite a while now who had it for $596 + shipping of $99, and I thought that wasn't bad. But just recently, someone mentioned that LDV had a good price on them, so I checked them out. Well, to make a long story short, it wound up costing me $506.40 shipped to me here, with tax and duty!

That's less than half of what it would cost here!

I opened it up when it arrived yesterday, and all was new, shiny, and in perfect condition. It even comes with a new thermostat, which I never saw mentioned anywhere in the ads.

Very pleased not only with the price, but also the service from LDV, Inc..
After my purchase, I later noticed that LDV doesn't seem to sell furnaces, but it's probably still worth checking them out.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
los lunas , New Mexico
Buy Parts from (PPL ) RV out of Texas 1/2 of most places.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
As stated, buy the parts from PPL. Then there are only 4 wires and 4or 5 ducts and the gas line. Then the mounting screws. Guy at Atwood said it is a straight forward
install. Wire colors same as old. If help is needed he said to call.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Being a farmer I have to search for any dollar I can save.. I have found that 30 minutes of internet time I can save 40% even after paying shipping in relation to our local retail supply.. Since 80% of the time I would need to order it in anyway the down time to get shipped is about the same in the end.

Glad you nailed a good deal with a little extra work. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the pointers. I will order the way you're all suggesting next year. I really don't need a furnace at this point.

The charge for installation was actually very reasonable, it was the part that was the expensive bit. Holy moly.

I'd be spending the cash on the installation of a composting toilet instead. Cant wait to have a huge grey tank for this coming summers adventures.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

1970 31' Sovereign
Thetis Island , British Columbia
replaced furnace with dishwasher!

We just pulled out the furnace as we were not using it ( we installed in-wall 240 volt electric heaters fore and aft); then installed a Kenmore 17" Dishwasher in its' place.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
After my purchase, I later noticed that LDV doesn't seem to sell furnaces, but it's probably still worth checking them out.
I called LDV today to see what's up, and they quoted me US$480.17 for a new NT-30, and "about" $70 to ship to me.

Sent me a nice email and gave me his name. I suppose any company that makes specialty vehicles like the one below would sell a lot of RV furnaces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	231370