Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Furnace replacement for 71 Safari

I'm on the home stretch of installing a NT-30SP furnace in my Safari and hit a snag. When I place the heater in postition and try and connect the vent cap on the outside of the trailer there is about a quarter inch gap on the bottom of the vent cap due to the curvature of the trailer wall. The cap fits so snugly on the vent pipe that I can't flush it up.

So far the only thing that's worked so far is to lift the front of the furnace about a half inch out of level. That just doesn't seem right. Does anybody out there know of a better solution?

Thanks!, Pete
rrpranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Pete,

If the intake and exhaust tubes fit tightly but do not flush up to the exterior plate, you can make a bushing to slip ove the tube that does not fit flush. Get a piece of metal tubing the same diameter and make the spacer to fill the gap.

You should be good to go!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Thanks Lew, I think that's gonna work.

You wouldn't happen to know what the best method is for sealing the plate to the trailer skin is? On the airstream restoration show on "Classic Rides" on the D.I.Y. network they used silicone caulk, but the original sealant seemed to be some sort of plumber's putty.

Thanks again,

Pete
Old 06-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpranch
Thanks Lew, I think that's gonna work.

You wouldn't happen to know what the best method is for sealing the plate to the trailer skin is? On the airstream restoration show on "Classic Rides" on the D.I.Y. network they used silicone caulk, but the original sealant seemed to be some sort of plumber's putty.

Thanks again,

Pete
Pete,

The DIY Network is gonna rot in hell for telling folks to use silicone. NEVER USE SILICONE ON AN AIRSTREAM!!!

The substance you found is called 'butyl tape'. Any RV store should carry it. They also sell 'putty tape' but I would not use this as it hardens eventually. A roll of the butyl tape costs a few bucks and will last you a very long time!

Just run a line of the tape around the inside of the flange, screw or rivet it in place, cut the squeeze-out with a plastic knife and remove the excess and you're good to go!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Beaverton , Oregon
Thanks Lew,

Once again, just the info I needed! They were a little silicone happy on that show, weren't they?

Regards, Pete