Old 02-17-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Furnace / Pulsing Red Light / Code ?

RE Furnace Model : Atwood 79 - 16 - II

On occasion, my furnace fails to fire in my '06 Bambi.

When I call for heat, the cold air starts blowing, the igniter starts clicking, but the furnace, she a don't fire. It will attempt to fire again automatically, but when it doesn't, it seems to go into a "safe mode" ( ? ) and stop trying.

When I remove the cover looking for a reset button, I see a red light behind the circuit board flashing 3 consecutive times, pause and flash the 3 again.

Next I go to the fuse panel and remove & replace ( it's not blown ) the 20A fuse that goes to the pink wire marked Furnace / Water Pump / Heater - Range Hood ( thinking I am resetting something ) and the light then changes to a single repeated flash.

The furnace still does not try to fire however until I shut the thermostat, and then turn it on to call for heat. It usually fires on the 2nd or 3rd try. Disheartening to say the least......

Are those flashes calling out a code telling me where my problem lies ?

What next ?

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
It's too cold for me to go outside and check my manuals. Check yours, if the manual doesn't explain the "code", call customer service and ask for a 'techie'. They are normally great at problem solving.
Good luck.
rgds, Scott

Air 16426

Fully retired now!
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Sorry, No winners this time.......

.......actually noone seemed to care ! Thanx for the lead Scott, but all that in the book made it as clear as mud.

I'm here at the 34 th Annual Florida State Hoedown and so are representitives from Airstream. Wayne & Dan, a couple of their ace techs came by and determined that the furnace was not getting enough gas and adjusted the flow out at the regulator near the bottles.

Kinda hard to tell since the weather is in the 80's but I think there is an improvement !

Stay Warm !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
one possibilty---there is a sail {like a sail on a boat} switch that moves and closes with the air from the blower. This swich tells the controler the blower is running and it's ok to turn the fuel on. If it sticks , which they are pron to do, the controler will not turn the fuel on. If a thump or jar to the furnace housing starts it working thats a good indication it could be a stuck switch. If so it requires removing and disassembly of furnace on most>----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
OK - I have had this exact experience. I re-read (as if I rad it in the first place) the manual and followed the instructions to the letter.

START the furnace in the lowest setting only, allow it to ignite and run for a while (a few minutes) then adjust up the temperature setting. Cured my starting problem. Mine would do the same any time the temperature adjustment was anywhere but in the lowest setting. Drove me nuts - works great now.
Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote