Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Hydro Flame Furnace Issues...

I just had my furnace fixed. It worked great when I picked it up! Now the fan turns on (with a horrible scratching sound) but the air coming out never gets hot. I just had the LP system tested for leaks and none were found. I have 2 brand new pre-filled tanks from Wal-Mart. The gas stove will light so I know the gas is still making it back there.

I was thinking maybe it is becasue I am at nearly 10,000 feet above sea level where I live? Are there certain settings that my appliances need to be set to in order to work in an environment with less oxygen?

It looks like I should probably take out the furnace and give it a good cleaning. Other than turning the gas off at the tanks, any other advice I need to know before diving in?

Anyone know of a good furnace repair shop in Denver, Co.?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Bambi LPG

Here are just a few reasons a furnace will not make heat.. These are low voltage as in low battery or poorly connected converter or poor connections at the dc fuses, or no LPG at the furnace. To check the furnace there is an order. Turn on all lpg devices and allow to operate for 3 minutes to check operation. Some trailers have a gas cock for every lpg device. Get a digital voltmeter and confirm battery condition. A fully charged battery ready to work will reflect 12.6 volts dc, and 12.0 is a 75% discharged battery If the blower motor can be heard turning [and s****ing] but the reed switch for airflow will not close, the unit will not make heat.. The airflow reed switch controls the gas valve. The unit must be removed to be bench checked. The unit is very easy to remove. It would be wise to remove unit to gain some insight and experience. Furnaces require very little to be removed. Stop the lpg, remove wood trim from front of unit, remove metal end of furnace, disconnect lpg line using two wrenches, reach in besides unit and find 12volt electrical plug and disconnect same, remove usually two sheet metal screws down thru open end of unit into floor, go out side and remove long single screw thru exhaust port..... Slide furnace into living area. Unit can be easily move about. Altitude differences will make some adjustments necessary but this is to burner to maximize fuel mix. while burner is lited a nice blue flame is desired. An orange flame is not a good mix and will carbon the burner. Frank
Old 03-31-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Recent Furnace episode

Recently went through the furnace thing - Would light nicely and burn nicely but in the middle of the night it would go OUT!!! My mechanic took it out, and tested it thoroughly - Found the problem to be in the valve - replaced valve No more problems bought valve at Holiday Camper ($45.00) Mechanic charged $80 to do the whole job.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:29 PM   #4
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Ignition problem fixed!

Thanks for the feedback! The ignition problem was due to low voltage of the battery. Once I got a charger on the battery, the furnace lit fine.

The grinding high pitch noise get quiter as the furnace heats up but then goes off and on after a while. From what I have read it sounds like that may be due to bearings or the fan motor.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote