Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Furnace problem

I recently purchased a 2006 safari and was camping over thanksgiving and the furnace was woking fine. Later on it stopped working altogether, nothing. After checking a few things I noticed a flashing red light 3 seconds apart. The manual said fault limit switch so I was perplexed. So I called Atwood and described the problem and they suggested that I knock on the housing to possibly unstick the sail switch, It worked and all is normal.
Coaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I recently purchased a 2006 safari and was camping over thanksgiving and the furnace was woking fine. Later on it stopped working altogether, nothing. After checking a few things I noticed a flashing red light 3 seconds apart. The manual said fault limit switch so I was perplexed. So I called Atwood and described the problem and they suggested that I knock on the housing to possibly unstick the sail switch, It worked and all is normal.
Hey...wait a minute.

Knock on wood was always by itself.

Now we have "knock on sail switch housings" ????

Who knows, maybe a new way to bring luck, or something........??

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
In another thread, I described some of the things we have had go wrong with the furnace in our 2002 Bambi. One of the things I replaced twice was the sail switch because it was sticking. Then I found out (on my own) that I could bang on the side of the furnace at about the location of the sail switch and get it to unstick. I have used the method several times and the last time seems to have done the trick. The furnace has ignited like a champ the last couple of years.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Where did you bang furnace to fix sail switch.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
furnace problem

The reconmendatiom from Atwood was the lower left housing. It looks like motor casing black in color.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Banging worked furnace working good again.
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The sail switch is a microswitch with a plastic "blade" attached to it. It is mounted in the output air flow of the main blower. The force of the blowing air lifts the "sail" and turns the switch on.

This tells the control board the blower is running, and that is ok to light the burner.

As it is in the air flow, it can get dirty and stick in the off position and keep the burner from lighting. If you are able, taking a panel or two loose to blow out the area with air may be a longer term fix.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Usually just removing the sail switch (a pretty good task in some models) and using compressed air on it will solve the problem.

On our older unit, the manufacturer slightly enlarged the size of the sail itself. Hoping that helped with ours! I'd only fixed the thing six or seven times prior to installing the new switch.

Lynn
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
I just bought a 1999 23 footer. The furnace did not work and after reading this thread I banged on the black housing to no avail, then I saw a diagram showing a tiny switch on top of the housing. I turned this switch on and the blower turned on but it made a weird sound then the switch turned off the blower. This happened about 3 or 4 times. Any suggestions???
raincrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Let me restart this old thread.

My Atwood 8525 furnace was working well this spring but has since quit. Same problem as post #1; blower starts then shuts off without trying to light the burner, and the red light flashes once.

I've checked the airflow, and it doesn't seem obstructed. Using an inspection scope, I had a look at the blower air intake under the couch, and nothing is in the way there.

Seems like a sail switch problem. It is supposed to be behind the blower, so banging on the front won't jar it any. I would like to find a video of how to dismantle this thing to get to the switch.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4578.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	287057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4581.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	287058  

2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
If memory serves, the sail switch on these is mounted traversely under that rounded black plastic cover. Kind of a pain because you need to get all that wiring out of the way first. But since it is a good deal of work, you might also want to check youtube for diagnostic tests to make sure it's the sail switch.

Lynn
Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
Currently Looking...
We also had that problem, if memory serves me correctly the furnace wouldn't come on at all. I took A long screwdriver and put it on the bolts that attach the motor and taped on the screwdriver with a hammer. Still works to this day. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
If memory serves, the sail switch on these is mounted traversely under that rounded black plastic cover. Kind of a pain because you need to get all that wiring out of the way first. But since it is a good deal of work, you might also want to check youtube for diagnostic tests to make sure it's the sail switch.

Lynn

You are correct. That's where the manual's diagram shows it. Four screws hold that cover in place and inside is the blower fan cage. But as you said, there is a lot of wires to get out of the way. Still searching for a video or photos showing this coming apart.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI Bob [CruizinDux] should be reporting soon on a possible sail switch fix here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ng-165259.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM   #15

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Little River , California
Sail Switch Unclog Process

Atwood Furnace Model #AFMD3014T

Symptom: I trigger furnace ON and... the fan runs for 30 seconds and shuts off. No clicking of effort for flame to come on (the 3 clicks).

Tried: 1) turning on multiple times. 2) Re-setting coach electric entirely 3) different processes with thermostat 4) changing propane tanks 5) Shore power in case battery reading was wrong.

Read Forum; then Tried pulling furnace panel on outside of coach: 1) Using reset switch 2) dusting area 3) checking all connections within reach.

Got out my manual to figure out model: The manual suggested the model (which turned out to be wrong). The model # was figured out with the label on the fan box inside of the furnace cover.
Re-Read Forum to learn where sail switch was: 1) Went on YouTube and watched for the wrong model # but it gave men the gist of the situation. 2) Identified sail switch. 3) Pulled sail switch by removing two screws.

And - Lo and behold - it's covered with Dog hair. Removed. Re-assembled. Works like a charm.

Thank you - ALL for contributions. It all comes together. This is the second time in 3 days I am parked in front of an Airstream Dealer (two different ones 4 hours apart) while waiting for them to open - AND repairing the problem with the help of the forum.

I'd like to post pictures - but I cannot figure out how to do that on here yet.
Ultraleppy is offline   Reply With Quote