Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
Furnace or Thermostat?

Hi All,

I am having issues again with my furnace on a 2014 30' International. The furnace was replaced under warranty in July 2014) I don't have the info in front of me to let you know the model of the furnace or thermostat. Here's the problem.

The thermostat will detect that heat is needed and kick in the furnace which will work intermittently. When it doesn't work it will run through the initial start up cycle but the pilot lighting cycle never happens. If I reboot the thermostat it will cycle through to a fully working thermostat after about 3 reboots and will continue to work for several hours until the temperature is high enough for a period of time where the furnace is no longer needed. Then a reboot is needed again to trip the system. I hope this explanation makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts!

Bari
FFEJANDIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would guess it is still a furnace issue. Your dealer should cover it under the full two year warrantee and get it working right. Even after the warrantee runs out, you would have documentation that you had problems prior to that date and they should still repair it, as it was not ever correctly done.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Sheridan , Colorado
Ok, thanks. This is the second furnace. I think this model must be a lemon.
FFEJANDIRAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Testing a thermostat

Thermostats are just a 24V contactor that opens & closes the circuit. You can easily test your thermostat by using a meter and checking if you are continuing to flow power through the thermostat. When the thermostat calls for heat, it closes a contactor so that the 24V coming from the heater, flows through the t-stat & returns to the other contact on the heater completing the circuit. Open up the t-stat & set up your electric meter so that it beeps (called a continuity test) when flowing from one terminal to the other. If the t-stat is calling for heat, you should have a constant beep letting you know the signal is flowing through the t-stat. If it is pulsing or not continuous, the t-stat is bad.

I'm guessing its the heater's board or a bad high limit switch. also could be something wrong with the igniter.
JConsroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
[QUOTE=JC You can easily test your thermostat by using a meter and checking if you are continuing to flow power through the thermostat. .[/QUOTE]
If you don't have a meter just disconnect the 2 thermostat wires and cross them. The furnace should cycle if not the problem is in the furnace.

From the original post it sounds like a furnace problem. If it was the thermo the furnace would not do anything at all. There is a better circuit board than stock, but the name escapes me.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The 2014 the original poster has uses the diabolical electronic thermostat which is also part of the AC system. So, it is not easy to test or even operate. But, from the OP description, it still sounds like a furnace issue, and should be under warrantee in any event.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dinosaur circuit boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
There is a better circuit board than stock, but the name escapes me.
Dinosaur boards. Excellent products and a great improvement. The Dinosaur boards for my furnace and refrigerator are soldered both sides of the board and there is a fuse on the board:
Dinosaur Electronics Home. High quality circuit boards for RV appliances.
Nick.