Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2004, 07:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
balrgn's Avatar
 
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,410
Images: 74
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Question Furnace odd smell

We had a gas odor in our '75 Trade Wind? Checked everything, Flame, connections then the light bulb came on. Low fuel. Checked the tank, it was about 1/4 full. Swapped over and now all seems well!

CO2 detector installed.
I let the furnace heat up the camper with the center vent open 1/4. Checked for leaks, there is no smell when the furnace is not operating. Pilot is adgusted properly. With the blower on and the front panel off CO2 detector alarms (after 10 minutes) I need to find a resource for technical data for a Suburban NT22A???
Found the manual online, removed the unit, found a cracked fitting? more to follow..........
__________________

__________________
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
ALANSD's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 8,463
a good tip for those who might be new to all this Rv stuff. Good idea to have a CO sensor installed for cold weather sleeping especially. Leaks can be hard to smell, but still have their effect on you.
__________________

__________________
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
We had a gas odor in our '75 Trade Wind? Checked everything, Flame, connections then the light bulb came on. Low fuel. Checked the tank, it was about 1/4 full. Swapped over and now all seems well!
While it never hurts to practice good safety and check for leaks, be aware that in some situations I have also smelled what seemed to be gas when in low tank situations. Apparently the chemical added to propane to give its distinctive odor can accumulate at the bottom of the tank and be much more present in the exhaust of your different gas appliances when they are in operation.

My advice is to check the gas hose and fittings that service your tank. If they show no evidence of leak, then you are probably experiencing the same situation. Especially when the full tank seems to be fine.

Regards,

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
I need to find a resource for technical data for a Suburban NT22A???
Found the manual online, removed the unit, found a cracked fitting? more to follow..........
I am not 100% sure which model, but some of those Suburban furnaces had a problem with cracked inlet and exhaust tubes. They would leak exhaust into the trailer, causing CO poisoning problems. I have one of those furnaces, and solved the problem by installing an A/C unit with heat.
Terry
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Furnace recall

Here is what Terry is referring to. There are other threads -- do a search on the words: furnace recall.
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
balrgn's Avatar
 
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,410
Images: 74
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Suburban Gas odor

Thanks, I pulled the unit and found all the female comperssion fittings cracked, replaced all the fittings, Ran the furnace for an hour, NO CO2 problems and no more odor!

Now I need to go after the gas portion on the refigerator.... (electric work perfect)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
While it never hurts to practice good safety and check for leaks, be aware that in some situations I have also smelled what seemed to be gas when in low tank situations. Apparently the chemical added to propane to give its distinctive odor can accumulate at the bottom of the tank and be much more present in the exhaust of your different gas appliances when they are in operation.


My advice is to check the gas hose and fittings that service your tank. If they show no evidence of leak, then you are probably experiencing the same situation. Especially when the full tank seems to be fine.

Regards,

Jack
__________________

__________________
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny smell when running furnace yukionna Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 10 10-07-2004 03:03 PM
R & R a Suburban Furnace Janets Husband Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 06-24-2004 08:19 PM
CO problem with furnace :eek: yukionna Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 2 04-25-2004 07:35 PM
LP Gas smell when furnace first kicked on Impala SS Guy Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 09-30-2003 01:08 PM
Furnace exhaust smell Silvertwinkie Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 3 02-25-2003 08:54 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.