Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

2005 30' Safari
Saint George , Utah
Furnace not working after several problem solving attempts

After nearly two years of searching we finally found and purchased a 2005 Safari (Series M-30) 30 ft bunkhouse, and am now a new Airstream owner! We took it out for our maiden voyage about four weeks ago up in the mountains of Utah. We were not at any facilities to hook up and were running off our batteries and propane. Our propane was full, but for some other reason that will require additional problem solving our batteries ran out very quickly and within a couple of hours being at our camping site we had minimal power.

The furnace worked briefly that evening and for reasons I assumed were lack of power it stopped. I hooked up my truck to the trailer in an attempt to recharge the batteries and the furnace still didn't work. Once home and plugged the trailer into AC power I still could not get the furnice to kick back on. I thermostat appears to be in working order, I checked the fuse and all looks well there. Confirmed the propane was on (stove top worked great) and turned the power circuit off and then back on in the furnace panel in an attempt to reset anything that may have been thrown off by the lack of power while we were out. Still nothing. The air conditioner works, the heat pump works that are both hooked up to the same thermostat. But no furnace fan.

This hasn't discouraged us yet, but it is difficult to hit the road with a 6 and 3 year old and an 8 month old without a furnace during these winter months.

Any more information or questions that would be helpful in further problem solving this issue. Thank you!
Rikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Give your batteries a chance to get charged, then try your furnace. The things you mentioned that worked when you plugged in to shore power all work on 120v. Your furnace works on 12v and really likes a charged battery.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Microscopic propane loving spiders.

You think I'm joking... but there are tiny tiny spiders that get into the burners in the water heater, furnace and refrigerator. The aperture for the propane burner is small, and the parts are easily damaged so don't go poking around with anything metal. A soft camel hair brush (steal it from your kids watercolor set or the wife's makeup) can brush out the aperture letting the propane flow properly. Compressed air can work too, but don't overdo it.

Oh yeah... Do the battery thing too. After 2 years if the batteries were left in the A/S over the winter when it was in storage they could be toast. First check and refill the water, then put a charger on them. If the charge doesn't hold, replace. NOTE - the newer Airstreams have phantom draws on the batteries out the wahzoo. The face plate on the sound system is significant. also any little sensor lights, etc. The water heater and furnace and thermostat, and propane alarm are a few of the others.

One last D'oh! Right by the door, there is a switch to flip when you're storing the RV so that the batteries won't drain as fast. Did you perhaps hit it by mistake? Do not flip the "storage" button when you're using or towing the unit... brake lights, e/r breakaway switch... reefer keeping your food cold on propane.

Paula
Old 11-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #4

2005 30' Safari
Saint George , Utah
Thank you, thank you! No microscopic spiders (and I do believe you), but a bit embarrassingly for me, you were both right on with the batteries AND the accidental flip of the switch that during travel and when we were home the power was switched to store. I switched it to use, waited a day and the furnace is working like a dream now. Again, thank you both for helping a newbie
Rikh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005, bunkhouse, furnace, safari