Old 01-09-2003, 09:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Furnace not firinig up....

I finished installing a NT30Sp furnace today. I turned on the power and gas. When I set the temp the fan came on but the furnace did not fire. It has an auto start pilot. I pulled the spark tip and tried again. There is no spark but 288mv at the spark terminal. I'll pull the box out tomorrow. I'm hoping for something simple like a hung sail swich. Any other suggestions as to what else to look for? Thanks.

Old 01-09-2003, 10:18 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Based on my knowlege I would say you are going in the right direction on the sail switch.

Here is a link To a PDF that covers many of the NT series furnaces, including the NT 30SP. The link will take you straight to the PDF.

One question. Was this a new or used furnace??

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the link. The furnace is new.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:33 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
When I did my new furnace there was a small switch on the controller board that I needed to turn on. You have to reach in thru the slots on the side to turn it on, mine was red. From the back or inside of the trailer end of the furnace it is on the right side .

You may have done this already, but I did not see reference to it in my installation instuctions.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

In order of actuation, my Suburban furnace goes: time delay relay switch, then sail switch, then limit switch, then gas valve and ignition board at the same time. Therefore, you can check the sail switch by checking for 12 volts DC at the live side of the limit switch, and check the limit switch by checking for 12v at its ground side, when the thermostat is calling for heat. On my furnace I can check these without pulling the furnace. The limit switch is at the front left, clearly visible as a silver disc attached by two self-tapping screws. I have to be careful not to short out the probes to ground while doing this. Insulating tape round all but the very tip of the probes helps.The limit switch can be checked for operation with the power off by testing its resistance. The limit switch can be manually operated by pressing the circular part in the centre. This sometimes jams in the open position. Its function is to go open circuit if it detects excess heat. If you have 12v on the ground side of the limit switch, you should hear the gas solenoid click sharply about 15 seconds after the fan first runs. If no click, then the gas valve may be defective.When I had the same problem, it turned out to be a defective ignition board. I replaced it with a Dinosaur Universal Ignition Board, which has fuse protection, 3 tries for ignition, and is soldered on both sides for coping with vibration and change of temperature. Good luck. Nick.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:39 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I figured it out! Low voltage was the problem. I thought it might have been too small of a return air area (R/A was fine). But still, the sail switch wasn't going up enough to activate it. I then checked the voltage to the unit and found it was at 8 volts. With that bit of info I stopped, looked around and saw that everything in Ami with a switch was turned on. I turned half of them off, the fan's rpm went up and the heater fired. I did print out the service manual though. The NT30sp is the way to go if you have a 22 footer but expect to spend some time adding more ducting and shims if you want to use the original vent outlets. Thanks all, Bill....