Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Furnace Maintaining Temperature Erratically

During our camping trip last week, we experienced erratic behavior of the furnace temperature cycling. It really got bad during a particularly windy evening/night. We had the temperature set to 73 degrees and sometimes the furnace would shut off at around that temperature and other times I had to turn the thermostat down to 68 to get it to shut off at 78 degrees or so. The outside temperature was in the low 40's.

The next morning, it was acting similarly, but the wind had died down some. I popped the thermostat off the wall and noticed cold air blowing into the trailer through the hole in the wall for the control wire; this cold air was keeping the thermostat cooler than the inside of the trailer. The thermostat is on the wall with the referigerator on the other side and the wind was blowing into the referigerator ventilation grate and through the hole. So I plugged the hole (allowing the wire to still slip in and out easily) and reinstalled the thermostat and the erratic behavior ceased!! Luckly a simple fix to what I thought was a faulty thermostat.

David
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
When I had my fridge out last summer to replace the cooling unit, I lined the walls of the fridge compartment with reflectix for just this reason (as well as general insulation improvement).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, although my furnace works good, My thermostat, front thermometer, and rear thermometer didn't match; And they probably shouldn't. I also removed my thermostat and filled the wire hole with foam rubber and taped over it, to prevent what you experienced. My thought, was that hot air from the refrigerator could get in there. If I ever have the need to remove my refrigerator, I will also insulate that wall.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Robert, Thanks! I've been going mildly nuts (but more than usual) by the furnace overheating the coach, then getting too cold before it kicks on again; too much hysterisis, so I'll check the thermo location and see if I have a similar problem.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
When I changed my original thermostat to a digital I also stopped the draft at the thermostat wire. Now a 1 degree temperature swing inside the trailer will cycle heat on and off. Though the furnace cycles more often than before, it runs shorter cycles and does not over heat. I think it is more fuel efficent now and it is much more comfortable.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
When I changed my original thermostat to a digital I also stopped the draft at the thermostat wire. Now a 1 degree temperature swing inside the trailer will cycle heat on and off. Though the furnace cycles more often than before, it runs shorter cycles and does not over heat. I think it is more fuel efficent now and it is much more comfortable.
If you have a thermostat with an actuator you can set the low and upper limit the furnace operates eliminating short cycling.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
It is not short cycling. Just shorter cycle than before. With the old stat the swing was more like 10 degrees.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
David, I have made this mod as well, also relocating the thermostat slightly so it's not behind the TV.

I have written elsewhere about the problems with the Dometic CCC, which are legion. Among them are that the cycle times for the furnace are too short leading to excess battery consumption when boondocking since the furnace spends as much time running the blower for the pre/post purge part of the cycle as it does with the burner on.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote