Old 01-25-2004, 07:28 PM   #1

Angry furnace keeps running

I have a problem with the furnace in my 1974 Airstream.It's a Suburban N22 that wont shut down after it reachs the thermostat setting.I took the cover off the thermostat and noticed that the points were stuck closed so I tapped on the wall next to it and they opened.The furnace then continued to cycle and shut down the way it's supposed to.I'ved tried sanding the points lightly but it did nothing.They still stay closed untill I tap the wall.Would replacing the complete thermostat solve the problem or might it be something else.It starts up fine.I woke up the other morning and it was 95 inside and 45 outside.

Old 01-25-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
New Thermostat

I bought a battery operated non-digital thermostat for about 10 bucks at the neighborhood HD.

Get one with an "off" position, if you can, they are hard to find. The reason being that on a minimum setting of 40 degrees, the furnace could run the battery down if you forget to disconnect the battery.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Woodland , Utah
87MH why the use of a non-digital thermostat? I am having a similar problem with my 78 excella. Thanks, Firecop
Old 01-26-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
87MH why the use of a non-digital thermostat?

Three reasons..

I could not find a digital that was internally powered (most thermostats are set up for 24 volts) for a reasonable (<$50) price....

I could not find a digital that had an "off" setting to insure the furnace would not fire up while unattended......

Most of the digitals I looked at appeared to be set up for a "microamp" 24 volt and minimal draw (18 gauage wire) contact requirement. I have not measured the 12 volt amperage draw across the thermostat contact on the Suburban furnace, but I did not want to take a chance and fry something by installing an under-rated thermostat.

I actually wanted a digital unit, I like looking at something and having it TELL me in great big numbers what the settings are, rather than having to interpolate between tiny numbers on a scale. I would still probably replace the non-digital with a digital if I could find one meeting the above requirements. I should clarify, the thermostat I installed is electrical, rather than a straight mechanical, it just doesn't have the digital readouts.

One of the downsides of the electrical thermostats, the contacts close in the case of an internal battery failure. Not a good thing in a normally unattended RV.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 01-26-2004, 09:58 AM   #5

Thumbs up Re: 87MH why the use of a non-digital thermostat?

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
Three reasons..

I could not find a digital that was internally powered (most thermostats are set up for 24 volts) for a reasonable (<$50) price....

I could not find a digital that had an "off" setting to insure the furnace would not fire up while unattended......

Most of the digitals I looked at appeared to be set up for a "microamp" 24 volt and minimal draw (18 gauage wire) contact requirement. I have not measured the 12 volt amperage draw across the thermostat contact on the Suburban furnace, but I did not want to take a chance and fry something by installing an under-rated thermostat.

I actually wanted a digital unit, I like looking at something and having it TELL me in great big numbers what the settings are, rather than having to interpolate between tiny numbers on a scale. I would still probably replace the non-digital with a digital if I could find one meeting the above requirements. I should clarify, the thermostat I installed is electrical, rather than a straight mechanical, it just doesn't have the digital readouts.

One of the downsides of the electrical thermostats, the contacts close in the case of an internal battery failure. Not a good thing in a normally unattended RV.
Thanks much to 87MH.I'll give it a try.I thought it might be the thermostat all along but it never hurts to ask.Thanks again.
WFD
Old 01-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
nds
3 Rivet Member

Here's a link to a conversation about installing a Hunter digital thermostat in a RV. He says the cost was $19.95 at a Walmart.

Hunter Digital Thermostat

I'm not sure if it has an off/on switch, but removing the batteries when not using the trailer will do the same thing.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
nds

Interesting link on the thermostat.

Thanks a bunch - I guess I'll continue my hunt!

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737