Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2003, 07:35 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Question Furnace exhaust smell

Just picked up an '03 Bambi and I have noticed that when I run the furnace there is a distinct smell outside. It also looks like the exhaust vent and the air intake vent are pretty close.

I have noticed a simialr smell in the camper when the unit is running.

Is it just because it's new? Is the intake on the outside just for combustion? I haven't connected a CO detector yet, but given the smell outside and the similar smell inside, I'm a bit concerned. Anyone else exp this?

Thanks,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I installed a new furnace in our MH this winter and the first 20 or so times it smelled a bit weird. I think it is just the manufactuing oils and such burning off. The exterior plate is an intake for combustion air as well as the exaust for the furnace.

I would still get the C02 detector as a safety device, but the smell should fade with use.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
hi
as for the outside that is not a problem . its made that way. you will get a smell inside for a while but i would go to home depot and buy a co2 detector. i bought one for 20 dollars that was powered buy a internal battery . that is cheap insurance. i also installed a propane detector. my wife has a way with the gas cook top . it winds up leaking gas into the motor home sometimes . if i was going to sleep in the unit i would get the co2 unit before i went to sleep. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks. I agree. I've been looking into the CO detector and will install before I take a nap in it! I'm not ready for the big dirt nap yet! ;-)

I didn't think Home Depot had battery powered ones. I saw one on one of the RV places that even had an LCD readout for CO levels that was battery powered too. I use a similar one in the house.

I love this little thing! I can't wait to take it camping!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote