Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Furnace ducts: maintaining or cleaning?

We have a 2009 30' classic . Newly Third owners,and very satisfied. Question; Wife has severe COPD, bronchiectasis, asthma, and other underlying conditions. So we like to keep things clean. We routinely clean the A\c filters and have a dehumidifier running clean& that filter regularly also. And have a air cleaner we run also. Please help me , tell me your protocol on cleaning the furnace duct work? Or do you?

I've looked into past post and seen nothing concerning this topic.

Also why I isnt there a filter to clean the furnace air?

Thank-you for your responses and help.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have been avid Airstreamers and members here at AirForums for about thirteen years now. I do not ever recall seeing a thread that mentions cleaning the furnace ducts. Most of our cold weather camping has involved using the heat pump. When we have used the gas furnace, we have always noticed a distinct odor when the furnace is first started. it is most likely from the dust that has built up in the ducting between uses.

The only way that I can think of to clean out the furnace ducts would be to get one of those long tube plastic hoses that hooks to a shop vacuum that is used to clean out clothes dryer vents. You could remove the furnace vent registers, and go up each one as far as the hose will reach.

Other that that, you might try a Google search and see what you come up with. Also, along this same line, the search function on the Forums is not very good. It is always best to Google "airforums" and the subject that you are trying to find. This will most often work better.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Nest
2020 16' Basecamp
lee's summit , MO
For anyone else that may be interested in this topic, I personally cleaned the ducts in my 2008 Int Sig 27FB. Amazon has some great, cheap flexible dryer vent cleaning brushes , 4", with flexible extensions that go all the way to the furnace.

The brushes are powered by a standard drill, always keep it on clockwise rotation, then follow it up with a shop vac, and get back as far as you can with a bristle attachment. I could tell with a high powered flashlight that I removed the layer of dust in the flexible vents.

My only concern now is that I have to disassemble the lounge furniture to access the furnace itself for cleaning, which is a bit over my head, and time consuming!
logdigital is offline   Reply With Quote